1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experienced user please for advice on new built PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Jinkazuya, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Yes...But I am trying to overclock, but it didn't work out when I reach 3.67 by raising the base clock, I don't get the BSOD, but instead the computer keeps rebooting, and I was able to access my BIOS menu...But if I raise the ratio, it became a complete failure, it kept rebooting not even was I able to get into the BIOS, and all I had is the black screen. BTW, my CPU is 965 extreme, I have not touched my hand on my 920.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you remembered to adjust the memory ratio? You won't get anywhere without doing that, especially with low-speed memory like 1333mhz.

3. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

For Rams, there isn't any ratio to set to, and I think this is only available to 920 or certain gigabyte boards. All I see is the multiplier, which is a list of numbers you could select from, which is just like a listbox. So the lowest value is 6, I chose that one, the first time, when I set my bclock to 3.4, blue led lit up, indicating level of overclocking, and the five leds of the RAM lit up as well, which, I know, has put too much stress on CPU and the board. I was able to get to the window login screen, but the ram was just about 1022mhz, if my memory serves me well. Then the second time I raised another 10mhz of the bclock, and then I got to 3.67, and the ram speed was 1044mhz or something, but this was the time something happened, the PC was unable to get into the login screen, when it got there, it just rebooted. Then, I thought there should be something to do with the voltage, I got into the BIOS, again no manual voltage setting, but there is a list of 0.5 voltage for you to choose from. I chose 0.5, the PC acted more weird after the boot. Here is what happened and I had to reset my CMOS.

As soon as it booted up, it just shut itself down. This cycle was unlimited, and I had to clear the CMOS.

Since extreme 965 has the unlocked multiplier, which is the reason why I choose this chip, after I cleared the CMOS, instead of raising the bclock, I raised the ratio multiplier of the CPU, but was unable to boot the PC.

I'd like to know is if I want to keep my rams, MAX, 1600mhz, but wanna raise the speed of my CPU to 3.8 or 4.0, how can I do that? Because if I keep raising the bclock, my ram would go above 1600mhz, that generates lots of heat. Possibly would burn out lots of stuff.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A moment ago, you told me you had 1333mhz memory, now it's 1600?
    I'll be honest, if you thought 0.5V for the CPU voltage was a good idea, you should not be trying overclocking at this stage, as you should really have a basic knowledge of how CPUs work rather than randomly changing settings, it can be dangerous.

5. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

Well...My ram is actually 1333mhz without doing anything in the BIOS. But the real speed which is labeled on the spec is 1600mhz.

Well...What I am saying is if I want to get my ram to 1600mhz fixed, and don't wanna change it, just keep it 1600mhz, how can I do that? Because I raised the bclock to 153, my CPU was already at 3.87 or 3.85, and my ram was 1840mhz, shown in the BIOS...But I just want my ram to be 1600mhz, all these are shown in the BIOS.

Now I raised my ratio, and I manage to get to 3.60 without turbo, 3.74 with turbo enabled. And I have the X.M.P(profile 1), and I set it enabled, and now my ram is 1600hmz, the voltage also changes to 1.65v. Everything is still running fine, but have not stress-tested it.

But if I raise one level up of my ratio, I get BSOD. And I am just wondering if that's normal? That's why I would like to read some overclocking guide, which could help me better in doing and understanding.

BTW, I just raise 0.5v for my CPU from the list, I know my CPU is running at 1.21 - 1.28 roughly estimate. I could only choose from the additional voltage, and I cannot set that manually in my board. So there are bunch of voltage to choose from, but each one increment by 0.5v. Something like 0.5v, 0.10v, 0.15v and so on...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

By using the XMP to set your ram to 1600 is wrong. This is a feature on certain ram kits, in essence, I believe you are telling your system you have 1333Mhz RAM installed and telling the system to overclock it to 1600 when you need to adjust the frequency itself to 1600, not use XMP to get it to 1600.