1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with 16X SAMSUNG TS-H552B/WBAH ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by F43, Jan 22, 2005.

1. F43

F43 Member

Hello :)

Soooooo happy to have found this informative forum. Naturally I am starting in the 'newbie' area since I haven't even purchased my writer yet! BTW, I do have an Akai DVM-9500 5 Disk changer for tv playback, can anyone comment on that and its performance with backup media?

On to my question: I am about to purchase an 'external' 16 Dual Layer SAMSUNG TS-H552B/WBAH that connect via USP 2.0. and will use Nero Suite 6. Can anyone comment on this setup? Will be using with a PC with the following specs: 2.4 GHZ Celeron, 256 MB RAM, 60GB HD, XP Professional SP2, is the an adequate setup for successful DVD backups? Is a Celeron processor fine for DVD recording, seems so many here have a Pentium :)

From what I've read, this whole process involves trial and error (hopefully less errors ;) What is a recommended format media for the above writer? It states it does +/-. The owners manual for my Akai player says it can sometimes fail on - disks, should I altogether avoid them?

Just looking for some experienced insight before I 'jump off' into this strange new world :)

Regards, F43

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Is this computer a Lap Top or desktop?

The reason I ask is because if it is a desk top I would highly reccomend an internal burner. They are far better in that they are more reliable. Your processor should do fine you may want a bigger HD and some more memory later on down the road, but for now you should be OK with those specs. If you have to get an external model then that Samsung is a pretty good choice. :)

3. F43

F43 Member

Hello BBmayo:

Thanks for the f-a-s-t response! My system is a desktop unit. Good questions about internal vs. external? I guess I am intrigued by the notion of being able to 'burn' on more than one computer? Especially since I have friends with more powerful systems (bigger HD, Pentiums etc). Are the external's inherently more fragile? Aren't they identical to the internal version, just different case/connection? I can promise I will treat the drive with 'kid gloves' :) I suppose I could always end up using the external as an internal with the right connector?

Thanks for any advice/help, Regards, F43

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its not that the external are more fragile (which I guess they would be if you are moving them around) They are just not as reliable and seem to give a lot of people problems (just look around here on AD and you will see what I mean) If you really want to use it on more than one computer than you have probably already made up your mind on the external drive, and it looks like the one you are getting is simply an internal mounted into a external case so you could eventually take it out of its case and put it in your computer using an IDE cable which is already in your computer more than likely.