1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expert Coasters maker with GSA-4160B

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by EASG, Dec 17, 2004.

1. EASG

EASG Member

Ok I don`t Know what am I doing wrong, but since I bought this DVD Burner (LG GSA-4160B A302) I have become an expert coaster creator, I have tried with Princo and TDK DVD-R 4X ID(TTG01) and with the brand on the disc, and only one of the burned TDK was ok (tried with six), finally I tried to burn the last disk to 2x but at the 90% nero displayed and error of "cannot focus" or "error focus alingment" or something like that, The main problem in not while burning, but when checking the media with nero CD/DVD Speed it display a read error while testing, and of course if I try to rip the copied DVDs it is impossible because read errors or ciclic redundance errors.

Note that I am burning images stored in the HD.

I was thinking in the following possibilitys as the source of the problem:

1. Hard disk fragmentation was critical at the time of burning the DVDs.

2. I have installed in my system DVDXGhost running in the background and that is causing read/write errors.

3. I did a Firmware upgrade from (A300) to (A302) and the last version of the firmware is buggy.

4. Maybe some evil force from the underworld is trying to keep my cursing to condemn my sould.

Spyware, virus or Adware problem discardted since the PC is not connected to the internet, but I have run Spybot, Adaware and norton 2004 anyway.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

It's sad to learn your problem because LG burner is known for its competency. Anway, maybe you should try use another program (e.g. DVD Shrink & Decrypter) to see how things go. Use RW for the tests, of course.
    BTW, of the reasons listed, the upgrading of firmware appears to be most the suspicious.
    Good luck and let us know the progress!

3. EASG

EASG Member

So you mean to try another program to burn the image, to create it or both?

Is it possible to comeback to the A300 version of the firmware?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Either or both. My experience has been that DVD burning is not a sure thing for any program alone. So I always keep more than one programs for each job.
    Re. the firmware thing, I'm not sure whether you can go back 'cos it's been said that once updated, you cannot go back to an older version, but I'm not sure.

5. bardie

bardie Regular member

I had a firmware issue so I emailed the makers of the writer and they sent me a fix to return to the previous firmware, which fixed my issue.
    Pete

6. EASG

EASG Member

This is the answer from LG.

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry ------------
    Great Company. Great People. Dear Eduardo, Thank you for contacting LG Electronics concerning your computer-related inquiry. Please try using one of the types of media that is recommended specifically for the GSA-4160B: CD-R : LG, Mitsubishi Chemical, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, TDK or SKC discs are recommended. CD-RW : LG, Ricoh, Mitsubishi Chemical, Verbatim discs are recommended. DVD-R : Maxell, Taiyo Yuden, JVC are recommended. DVD-RW : JVC, Mitsubishi Chemical, TDK are recommended. DVD+R : Taiyo Yuden, JVC, Ricoh are recommended. DVD+RW : TDK, FujiFilm are recommended. DVD-RAM : Maxell, Panasonic are recommended. DVD+R DL : Mitsubishi Chemical is recommended. There are manufacturing differences between different brands of media, and the brands listed have been tested and are known to work well. Some brands will work for a time and then start causing write errors. It's really important to use recommended media, particularly while troubleshooting. If you continue to have problems after using one of the recommended brands, please call 1(800)243-0000 for further assistance. Please make sure your computer is accessible when you call, in order for our technicians to assist you in troubleshooting. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics. Cyndi E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I will try this and post the result later.

7. EASG

EASG Member

Ok It seems that the media was the problem, I burned three Maxell DVD-R 4x and then check them with nero CD/DVD speed and there was no problem.

If you own this Drive, Use the recommended media or you will become a member of the coasters creators club.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Glad that you've sort things out.