1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external drives not reading full amount of space ????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cphicks, Jan 27, 2007.

1. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi everyone, first of all, thank you very much to all the people that help me last time. ok i have bought 1 external drive a 320gb but when i look in my compter and right click on the drive, it says only 298 GB and i have not put anything on i yet, can someone please tell me how i solve this problem, and get my true reading of the drive, i know with internal ones you have to partition the drive with two partions, one for the DOS and whats ever left comes the second partion, i have windows xp home service pack 2, so sorry to pick your brains with this one, hope you can help, chris

2. ireland

ireland Active member

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP

INTRODUCTION
    This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.

For additional information about the latest service pack for Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322389 (http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
    Back to the top Back to the top
    MORE INFORMATION
    Windows XP SP1 includes 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI disk drives. With this support, you can use hard disks that are larger than the current 137 GB limit. By default, support is enabled in SP1. To determine if you are running SP1, right-click My Computer and then click Properties. On the General tab, Service Pack 1 will be listed under "System."

To determine if you have the latest ATAPI driver, verify that you have version 5.1.2600.1135 or later of the Atapi.sys file in your %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder. (Or version 5.1.2600.1152 for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.) To do this, follow these steps:

go here to read it all
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/303013/

3. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

thankyou so much for your help, i did not think it would have mattered about windows xp home as im only using the external drives for storage i looked in my system and i have xp home , service pack 2 hope this helps thanks again chris

4. pieman

pieman Regular member

cphicks....as your pc recognises the drive as over 137gb, shows that you have the correct service pack installed.unfortunately, a 320gb drive is not a 320gb drive when formatted.apparantly quite a chunk of the drives capacity is lost to this process.There is a technical explaination for this but ill be damned if i can remember it,however the drive you have is normal.my 320 shows the same 298.Dont worry!!

5. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

thankyou pieman it just seems a shame that i bought a 320gb and quite a bit of it is gone thats all, i also have a 160gb and that shows 149gb shame there not away to get more out of it cheers mate chris

6. ireland

ireland Active member

I HAVE A 320GB DRIVE IN XP IT SHOWS IN PROPERITIES CAPACITY 320070287360 or 298GB

7. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

thankyou ireland and pieman it looks like il have to finish my msce course to see if i can get anymore out of it, if not "never mind" thankyou so much for your help oh one more thing if your doing a partition on a drive i was told if your drive is over 137gb "my brothers is 300gb" you have to have two partisions one for the dos can you tell me how big the first one should be please. thanks again chris

8. ireland

ireland Active member

go to control panel,admin tools,computer management,disk management
    look at ye drive in the right window..and see if ye can setup a second partition out of the unused part of ye hard drive if its all blue it can not be done..if it shows blue and black above the drive.
    in the lower right window ye will be able to add another partition....

also win me,2000 and xp supports large disk support..win-98,no

also your mother board manufacture might have a bios update for large disk support.
    check it out..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ireland, i have no problem with my 160gig tho it is partitioned into a 40 & 120.

10. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

no mean to be a noob...but should we be partitioning our hard drives into two for maximum storage capacity???

11. Riotard

Riotard Member

Ok basically, you are usign Windows i asume, the momeory of ur drive is 320,000,000,000 bytes, however windows reads 1024btyes as on kb and 1024kb as 1mb and 1024mb and 1gbso bically the 24 like means that it reads in differently, its just liek a normal harddrive, mine is 500g but shows 465gb or soemthign liek that, its just the way windows recognises memory becaus eit uses binary so 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024, see

12. pieman

pieman Regular member

now THATS the explaination i forgot.Thanks riotard