1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External DVD Burner Question?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by TP22, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TP22

TP22 Member

I know I will probably sound stupid but I need to double check about installing an External DVD Burner. I have a Pinnacle AVDV Capture Card that has 2 1394 firewire connections on the card. I know it is really for hooking up a camcorder to it but I was wondering if I could hook up an External DVD Burner that has the firewire hook up. I wasn't sure if the firewire connections are just for input from a camcorder or could I hook up an External DVD Burner to it. I see an External DVD Burner online that has the firwire connection and I'm thinking about buying it so any info or help in anyway would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time. Take Care!

2. missy_mel

missy_mel Member

If it is on your capture card, then its designed for video input.

3. TP22

TP22 Member

Thanks Missy! The more I thought about it, the more I started to think that a capture card is for capturing only and I probably could not output it to anything. I wanted to make sure though. You've been a big help. I really appreciate it!

4. nato1200

nato1200 Member

You should have no problem using that card to hook up your burner. A 1394 port is a 1394 port. The only thing that I can think of that may prevent it it if you have the "small" 4 pin 1394 ports only. You may need the "big" 6 pin, and I'm not familiar with that card.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  5. TP22

TP22 Member

Thanks very much Nato! It is a 6 pin connector on my firewire connection. Ok, I was under the impression that a capture card was only for capturing, meaning you can only input it. On another help forum I signed up for someone that is employed in networking said exactly what you said Nato that a firewire is a firewire and that it should not matter where a firewire comes from even from a capture card he said it should not matter. I still want to thank Missy for her input. I guess I will take a chance and buy my External DVD Burner. You all been great so far. I love this site. Take care Nato!