1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External DVD writers.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tsukino, Mar 17, 2005.

1. tsukino

tsukino Member

I use a Emprex DVDRW 1108UI for windows XP and I have heard somewhere that XP isn't friendly to external writers. By any chance does anyone know any good fixes to have it fully working? Only recently that it hasn't been working properly.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

It is not XP that is not friendly !! ~~ smiles

External burners are very touchy apparatus ! you need as short a cable as you can find and of the best quality (gold) -- A USB2 connection is a prime requisite.

The media you use has to also be of the highest quality.

"Why is that ? well transporting Data over from an external apparatus is directly affected by the loss in the cabling itself. The longer that cable the worst it gets and errors are slowing down the process to a crawl if not to a stop when the software has had enough errors in the transmission.

Make sure your firmware is updated to the latest and get the best media you can afford.

Good Luck

Edited for ONE darn Typo !!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

I don't think XP is any more unfriendly than other OSs. In fact it is supposed to be better suited than earlier OSs for the plug and play devices. What seems to be the problem? So far, all we know is that you have a PC running XP with a Emprex DVDRW 1108UI drive and that you have a problem.

4. tsukino

tsukino Member

Well, I used to burn iso's with it and lately whenever I try to burn anything, it (the dvd) doesn't open up properly. I use Ritek G04 and tried to burn the same thing about 3 times with no luck. I hope that helps.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Not really. What do you mean by the DVD doesn't open properly? Draw us a picture of what's going on and do you get any error messages? What software are you using and tell us about the PC as far as the specs go.

6. tsukino

tsukino Member

I use CopyToDVD since Nero doesn't want to work with the dvd writer. What I mean by not opening properly is that when I burn a ps2 game (for example), it doesn't load. My specs for the pc is
    Compaq
    Presario
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    2.13 GHz
    480 MB of RAM
    I just copied what was on the properties of the My Computer.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.emprex.com/03_support_02.php?group=57&kind=1
    By the way, Emprex lists firmware for your drive ( UIPFLMDU1108B130.EXE), you may want to check out support and update you firmware. That sometimes improves the write ability of a drive with certain media. It may not be the fix, but it is something that needs to be done to eliminate the possibility.

8. tsukino

tsukino Member

Thanks, but I'm already up to date.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

PS2 games are a bit tricky to start with. A friend of mine uses DVD Decrypter to rip and burn them and he does it at low speed. What mod chip or tray setup do you have on your PS2? By the way, if it is mainly a PS2 problem, there is a section for PS2 game problems. Is your PC a desktop or laptop?

10. tsukino

tsukino Member

My computer is a PC and I don't think it's mainly a PS2 game problem. I do decrpyt the games at low speeds, I have been doing the same thing like usual but today it just stopped functioning.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Now we're getting somewhere. It quit. Does that mean the external drive is not working at all? In that case, did you go into the device manager and check the drive? In the Nero ToolKit there are some utilities for checking the drive. Did you use those? By the way a computer is a PC (personal computer) and I was asking if it was a laptop or a full sized desktop computer. Presario is the name for both.

12. tsukino

tsukino Member

I found the solution, apparently some games won't burn on a 4x (I think it was) speed so I when I lowered it to 1x, it worked fine. Sorry for all your trouble.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

No problem, glad you got your problem solved. That was why I mentioned the PS2 games and burning them at lower speeds than video. Seems the burn often needs to be slower and better for the games. At least that's the input I got on it. Same thing seems to happen with some movies. That's why you often see people here on the forum go through "is the media good and did you slow the burn speed down?" Strangely enough, those are sometimes the solution to problems.