1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive I/O device error

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by iconfuzed, Jan 20, 2008.

1. iconfuzed

iconfuzed Member

ok, i got a western digital 250 gig ex.hdd. i been using it for temp storage for bout a yr. i'd take things off my pc and put it on the ex/hdd then i'd burn some of it on data disk then delete it but here is my problem

..bout the last 5 data dvds i've burnt had failed the data verification so i tried moving the data off the ex to the pc..but i got this message..

"cannot copy "*name of file": The request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error

i even got this message on small files like pictures..but i can move some files but not much and it takes a really long time to do anything..cause it been freezin' up on me. on google all i can find is it's a cable problem. i tried a diffent usb cable and it still the same..also it does the same on my other pc.....any help or advice i'd really appreciate it..

if i gotta format the drive..i'll lose so much muzik it will make me sick....

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What's probably gone wrong is the drive enclosure, not the drive inside. You can buy an enclosure to put the drive in as a replacement quite cheaply, and all your data will be intact (take the existing one apart to find out which type you need to buy).