1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive not detected

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adobance, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Adobance

Adobance Member

I need serious help here...

I have a Lacie Ethernet Big Disk (1TB) external hard drive. I have connected it to a Linksys 4 port Ethernet Switch. I also have a cable modem connected to the Switch. The modem works fine, but the hard drive dosen't.

I have been able to get the computer to recognise the drive by running the config program whilst the cable modem is unplugged, however, once the modem is plugged back in, I get intermittent disconnects on the hard drive until it just won't connect.

I believe I have DHCP running (but can't find anywhere to confirm this). I had this problem with Windows XP, so, amongst other things, I upgraded to Vista. Still no luck...

oh the pain..... (this has been going on for a week now, and the Lacie tech gurus haven't really been able to help yet... so I think this one is a challenge...)

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

what brand and model is your modem ?

have you tried to disable dhcp and configure you network to static IP's ?

try disabling UPNP if your modem has it

you are using a switch and not a router if your 4 port is a router it could mean you have two lots of dhcp running

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007