1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive not recognised! Help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ravenga, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

hands down that is the most off topic post i have EVERY SEEN!
    so you brought them to the partition wizard for what?

-tripplite

2. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

I have the same problem. My external drive is not recognized by both my desk top and my lap top.

Will the patch offered by tripplite work on drivers other than Dell? This seems to be a Dell driver.

Mine is an external HD from http://www.acomdata.com/ (AcomData E5 HybridDrive HD500UHE5-72 - hard drive - 500 GB - Hi-Speed USB). It worked for a long time and I have so much stored there but suddenly my DT does not recognize it anymore. You can hear the USB sound trying to open it but nothing happens. I tried to open it with my LT but the same thing happens. I am using XP on both.

3. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

One more comment: On March 3, Tripplite said:
    How can we right click on the drive if we do not see it? Just a valid question, I am not trying to be a J*** here ;=)

4. Ravenga

Ravenga Member

Well, I tried plugging it into an older computer of mine where it worked before it went awol. And it worked! Then I reformatted that computer, an now it doesn't. My guess is that a driver that was either on the HD or embedded in the external case itself (god knows how!) is not there now!

As I said before, it is an icy box. I am going to try a new HD and see what happens.

The old HD still works, I am using it in my pc at the moment through IDE.

5. donewell

donewell Regular member

Like i said in my earlier post!!did you try changing the jumper, mine did the same thing. it was in master first i changed it to slave,didn't work, then i went to cable select and it worked.
    Sometimes they work one way only,either master,slave or cable select. it depends on your encloser

6. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

Originally posted by Donewell
    External driver do not have jumpers. Do they?

7. donewell

donewell Regular member

Read his posts. he says its in an enclosure. That means it a regular hard drive, he also said he in stalled it in another computer and it worked. therefore it must be a regular hard drive in an enclosure.

8. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

I guess you are right. Please see my posting on 24. August 2008 @ 20:08 about my external drive. My impression was that this thread was about computers not finding the external drives and I am still searching for a solution.