1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Tamara_91, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Tamara_91

Tamara_91 Newbie

I've got a question about external hard drives. I want to buy 1TB portable external hard drive with USB 3.0 auto and cloud backup but I've been thingking too long about the qualities and prices. I'm going to buy it on amazon or stuff like that can anyone tell me which brands can I trust or which models? I've never used that tech. maybe my question sounds dumb but it will be great help :) thank you

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I would look at Amazon and Newegg. Both places have reviews posted. More reviews, more positive reviews - should guide you well. Both sites are reputable.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

hard drives come in low end,middle & top of the range ,take from that what you will & buyer beware,you need to take into consideration what hours of use your going to use it & go from there,as an example i have a few 3.5" seagate expansions their primary use is storage these drives were cheap they are not meant to be used all day everyday & i wouldn't trust em as far as i could throw them not like a barracuda or better drive like that,the link below maybe of assistance,there is one advantage you have i assume your going for a 2.5" drive they tend to run at 5400rpm which is far cooler than the drives i have,you may even be able to get a portable that can turn it's self off or at least stop spinning when not in use,green drives do that tho i'm not sure about 2.5"

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/hard-drives

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Tamara_91, if going with usb3 drive then you need usb3 port on the computer to make full use of the transfer speed or otherwise it will run at usb2 speed of motherboard ports.

5. Tamara_91

Tamara_91 Newbie

thank you rulisky I'll look for on these sites

6. Tamara_91

Tamara_91 Newbie

7. Tamara_91

Tamara_91 Newbie

ok I know that Ive heard that USB3 works better and faster then 2. my PC has both ports so I decieded that I need it

8. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Personally, I have a Toshiba 500gb external drive. Got it several years ago and has given me no problems. An older model that I do not see currently listed. Size is roughly 3.5x5.5 and came with a zippered case that has a pocket for the usb plug in.