1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external harddrive problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jctech6, Aug 5, 2007.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried uninstalling the ports?

2. jctech6

jctech6 Guest

since the problem only occurs when i go into the subfolders, you think if i put all the files on the root of the ex.hdd it'll work?

3. jctech6

jctech6 Guest

not yet cuz im using the usb for somestuff. Will try it later though.

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

Probably best to try uninstalling the usb ports as ddp mentioned. Do it in less than 5 mins.

5. jctech6

jctech6 Guest

tried it and i got the same problem. But i think i find why it happens. I have 3 folders in the root of the hdd and i can explore all of them except for the one with my psp backups. I'm thinking there is a file or some sort of corruption that causes it to crash. You think i should just delete that folder? It should help and i can always back up the games again.

6. NSD

NSD Member

Just a quick question: My external HD works smoothly and has so for sometime now, recently my Laptop has been giving me the message that the USB device can perform at a higher speed then it currently is. I have tried playing with the USB settings and the only way I have found to get it working is to disable the USB 2.0 ports and allow it to connect to the slower USB ports. I am thinking this is a motherboard and or BIOS problem, can anyone confirm or deny this? Also the same problem occurs with my IPOD, when USB 2.0 enabled it won't recognize the device, when disable it works but the message letting me know it can run faster appears.

THANKS-

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

jctech6: it's worth a try, I reckon there's some sort of corruption in there.
    NSD: Which service pack do you run? Have you reinstalled your USB 2 drivers?

8. jctech6

jctech6 Guest

just got it fixed. Deleted that folder and everything is in working order. Thanks everyone

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough. Solution:Back it up!

10. NSD

NSD Member

Sorry about the delay, I am currently running service pack 2. I have played with the USB drivers several times with no avail.