1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external housing+ 108, need help, big time

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Markoabc, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Markoabc

Markoabc Member

Hey,

This is what is going on i'm having big trouble looked around all the forums can't find anything specefic.

I've just bought a pioneer 108 which was prepackaged in an external housing from the svp.co.uk. Now the drive shows up fine it also has no problem reading discs etc. i.e i can watch a dvd with no skipping.......... Its only when i go to use it as a burner that it starts acting up. I use dvd shrink with no problem then when it goes to burn with either decrypter or nero it lasts barely one seconds and fails turning the disc(ritek G05) into a coaster. Any ideas??????????

Seen as this didn't work i removed the drive from the enclosure and installed it internally the only problem now is that it burns at about 1.7X. I've tried turning the DMA thingy on but it won't let me it seems it will only let the drive which is first i.e Drive 0 according to Dells ide cable be the one with DMA therefore i switched the pioneer into the drive 0 position and hey presto DMA was enabled but now the Dell combo dvd/cdr drive hasn't got DMA access so ripping the DVD takes about an hour where it used to take 15 minutes. So no matter what way i arrange the drives one drive is going to under-perform meaning the whole proccess turns into a long painfull experience.

Help with both these problems would be greatly appreciated the details of my computer are as follows. Its a new dell dimension 4600(1 week old), 2.8 Ghz,512 MB, DVD/CD-RW combo drive the whole thing is here http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...hs1&kc=305&l=en&oc=D1045&s=dhs&sbc=dimen_4600
    i haven't changed it and i thought i was smart not letting Dell force me into their DVD burner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Markoabc

Markoabc Member

Just one other thing that might be off use the way my drive config. at the moment is this

Primary IDE Channel:

Master: Pioneer 108 DMA:ON

Slave: HL-DT-ST(dell combo drive) DMA: OFF

Both drives are set Cable Select, this is the way dell say to install the drives

Secondary IDE Channel:

Master: ST42342424( hard drive i think)