1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external speaker volume increase for 3g iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by godzillla, Aug 31, 2008.

1. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

I have read many posts about people poking holes in the thin layer of plastic that covers the speaker causing an increase in sound. I took a look at the speakers for the 3g and they do not look anything like the old iphone (edge)speakers. They are extremely smaller and almost looks like a screen. Has anyone tried to poke holes in the screen looking speakers? Or is there another way to increase the speaker volume?

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

Don't the 3G iPhone's have improved sound quality compared to the existing iPhone(edges)?

3. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

It is louder than my wife's first generation iphone, but not by much. I would say maybe 20% louder. If I was apple I would try and brag about the sound. You can't hear it ring in a pocket or in another room.

4. lrg32

lrg32 Member

Is your iphone jailbroken? If it is then just use the volume boost in Cydia I believe to make it louder. I personally wouldnt do the poke hole thing to the new 3g iphones because of the difference in how the speaker is setup compared to the older iphone. And I have done that trick to the older iphones but unless your trying to use the iphones speaker to liven up a party, then you shouldnt need it that loud. Or if you do then just hook it up to an external speaker.

5. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

thanks for the advise. I have done some research on this whole "jailbreak" thing and, unfortunately, I just don't get it. I have only had my phone for a month now. What I think I have found is there are two programs needed one program to jailbreak, and Cydia that somehow can work with the jailbreak program???? I am sure I am wrong.

If you can explain what jailbreak means and maybe even can a link to a tutorial that will show my how to use the volume boost in Cydia I would be very much interested in learning so I can share with my other friends who have iphones. The main reason I need to increase the volume is because, I work outside near heavy traffic areas and I can not hear my phone when it rings. My old phone AT&T 8125 was very loud.

6. frankb4u

frankb4u Member

Yes you are corret. Only one step missing...
    1. You will first need to jailbreak your Iphone (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/50888951/redmond-we-have-a-pwnapple) just jailbreak.
    2. Install the respository iclarified from cydia
    3. Install the Volumeboost (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1683)
    Regards.

7. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

I like the step by step instructions from the link to install volume boost (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1683) you provided.I went to the site to get the Jailbreak (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/50888951/redmond-we-have-a-pwnapple) but I couldn't find instructions on how to add the qucikpwn.exe program to the iphone. Can you help me with that part? Then maybe with "2. Install the respository iclarified from cydia") OK I guess I am asking a lot. I might as well give you my iphone and let you do it. haha. but I have searched and can't find instructions as good as the volume boost instructions. I you don't want to help I'll understand.

8. Dv1726

Dv1726 Member

hievery one , i just got my phone 3G 8g , and it would seem like to me , that the sound is coming from one of the "HOLES" at the bottom of the phone , and nothing comes from the other one .
    is that normal ? how many speakers does the phone have ? 1 , 2 ?
    thx

9. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

my first generation iPhone has more volume in the left side of the speaker and less to none in the right. It's no problem to me though.

10. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

oh haha I had no clue. no only if i can get my sim card out of the iphone its "stuck"