1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External USB hardware not working right

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by J0kkeV, Sep 3, 2011.

1. J0kkeV

J0kkeV Member

Hello

2 weeks ago I decided to clean up my computer a bit. I scanned for viruses, malware,etc and cleaned the registry with CCleaner. This time I didn't make a backup of my registry. When the cleanup was done, my computer rebooted at the same second. (Seems like I deleted some vital stuff from registry.) The computer still powered up as normal, and works nearly the same as always.

But, now 2 weeks later I got back to my computer and turned this on. After I had logged on windows I turned my external hard drive on and noticed that my computer couldn't access it. It does show in Device Manager, but I can't access it. Same thing happens with every USB Mass Storage Device I use. Memory Sticks, Memory Cards, PSP etc. When I plug memory sticks or memory cards in my PC, they do show up in My Computer. But when I click on them, i get the message that they need to be formatted.

If I plug the devices in my computer before I turn it on, the USB Devices work the way they should. But the problem gets irritating when I need to reboot my computer every time I want to use external hardware.

Any suggestions? Any solutions? I have a registry backup that is about 9 months old, since I haven't been using my computer much since. Should I add the data to the registry, or is there a possibilty something irreversable might happen. The problem doesn't seem to be caused by malware or viruses. Seems more like problem with registry.

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I think XP creates a Restore Point every 24 hours, so you might want to check to see if you have one that predates the cleanup.