1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra internal hd from old pc to other pc, keep data.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by uponthis, Jun 23, 2007.

1. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

Ok, here is what i want to do. I have an extra hd in one pc that not really being used. I want to take it out and move to another pc (both XP), do that is no problem. I want to be able to keep the info and programs on it but lock it out from the pc i want to put it in (in case i wish to put back into 1st pc again). Is it possible and what software will i need to accomplish this? Freeware if possible. Both are IDE ATA drives.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the drive has only got data on it (no operating system) you should be able to freely move it between the PCs without any issues. However, depending on what programs you have installed, to run them on both PCs may require new installs of the programs, if the two PCs have different hardware specs.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the purpose then of connecting to the pc if not really using it?

4. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

sammorris,
    it doesn't have an operating system on it, but i do have a list of program files i have running from is since the original harddrive in the puter is only a 10 gig harddrive.

ddp,
    the pc it's in right now is upstairs in one of the kids room, and the extra internal hd is a 250 gig. Since they aren't really even playin on it, i wanted to take it out and put in this pc (2 of the mainly used pc here downstairs)

So, right now, the drive letter for the big hd is Z, if i was to change it once i put in other pc to a different letter, would the programs already on it not start up? Thats what i am triing to ask.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most of them no, because they wouldn't be installed to the registry of the other PC.