1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting audio from DVD to burn audio CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Nick600, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Hi there.

I swear I searched the forums for an answer to this but I could not find anything.

I have a concert DVD which has a high quality stereo audio track (CD quality) on it. What I'm trying to do, is somehow extract this audio track and convert it to uncompressed .WAV file (also CD quality, 44,100 kHz, 16 bit).

The idea is that from there, I can either burn it onto a CD or chop it down to single tracks and convert them to Mp3's.

Anyone know what software / process would be best to do this? I'm researching this on my own but any help would be greatly apreciated.

2. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

I kown imtoo dvd audio ripper that can rip dvd to all audio formats,and ImTOO CD Ripper can ripper cd to mp3,wav etc.you try them ,can use? the link:http://www.imtoo.com/products.html

3. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Thanks for the info Balwin. Although, I was hoping to find a free software program that could do this.

I already have the software to convert wav to mp3. I'm really looking for something (hopefully free as I am a cheap bastard ;-) ) that can extract the audio track from the DVD.

On Imtoo's website, I see that this particular software is around $25 or so, but I'm confused as another option offers you to download the software for free. I'm guessing it's probably a trial version or an ad-supported version or something.

Have you used this product before?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  4. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

I no used.MY friend used it.they talked good useful and bought.They often browse the site.why?they spoken the site software is perfect and well sevice.its software is free down trial.people felt satisfaction,and then bought.

5. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

I use AC3Dec to extract music off of DVD's. There are several steps but I like it the best. Extract AC3 audio off of DVD-convert to WAV- then convert to MP3. AC3 will only convert to WAV
    I never could figure out Imtoo but AC3Dec (not AC3 decoder)works for me.
    It is free on this site.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  6. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

@ Berkner80

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

7. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Hum. I had downloaded AC3 dec back when but hadn't gotten around to try it until last weekend. I also tried Imtoo, which is an excellent program BTW, Baldwin.

For some reason, I can't seem to be able to figure out AC3dec. I played around with the settings, dragged the VOB file I wanted to convert in the queue. Then it seems to be running as it says "converting" at the bottom but then nothing. It seems it converts it but the .wav is nowhere to be found on my HDD. Is there something I'm missing?

8. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

It's been a couple of months since I have used it. You first need to do stream proccessing and extract the audio out of the VOB file you want, then you would use AC3dec to convert that file to WAV by dragging it in the window of the AC3dec program. I know it is several steps but it does work. I use DVDdecrypter to do the stream proccessing. I will try it tonight on a movie ("Deep Impact") and give you a detailed step by step on how I do it.
    Note: I extract my VOB files by chapters so I don't have such a large file to convert. I sometimes get pops if try to convert (AC3 to WAV)a large file and too many files at one time. Try converting 5 chapters at a time. After you convert them to WAV you will notice a drop in volumn. I just use a WAV editor to bump up the gain a little and there fine. I ask why they drop in volumn but someone told me that is just what happen when you convert AC3 to WAV.
    Example what I have done with AC3dec: Took the closing themes at the end of movies and listen to them at work on my mp3 player. "Day After Tomorrow" theme was over 10 minutes long.

9. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Thank you so much Berkner for all your help. I'll try and figure out how to do it with decrypter. I actually didn't know I had to first extract it with another program.

10. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Well I tried it your way this morning. Without extracting the audio I just dragged the VOB file of chapter1 into the window of AC3dec it did worked that way but it gave bad results. Alot of DVD's have multiple audio on them so you need to specify which audio you want. Also without extracting the audio from the VOB file first AC3 is trying to (in my case with chapter1)convert 198,392kb file verses a 7,328kb file. I think you will get better results if you extract the audio out first, but keep in mind I am using a Dell 800mhz, Pentium III computer.
    To make things simple I will go through the steps I used to convert the audio of chapter 1 from "Deep Impact"
    Open up DVDdecrypter-go to the mode tab and select IFO-go in the window where the chapters are, right click to select none, then select chapter 1-then right above that select the stream proccessing tab-select enable stream proccessing, select just the 2ch english audio-now click the decrypt button(picture of the DVD). This will put a VOB file on your HD with just the AC3 audio.
    Now open up AC3 folder select the application ac3decgui.
    Select convert to wav and at 44.1khz and drag you VOB file in the window. This should create a wav file in the same folder as your VOB file. Hope this helps. I did this with chapter 1 and it took me about 15 minutes for everything. I also did this with my ABBA, and McCartney DVD so any audio on the DVD will work even the director comments. Let us know if you get this to work.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  11. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

The music I converted from Deep Impact with AC3 didn't sound to good using Windows XP. When I had ME everything sounded great, I just upgraded to XP. I may have to see if the updated demo version of AC3 will be better. My extracted audio sounded good so I know it is a problem after AC3 converted it to a WAV. If you are using Windows ME you should be fine. I guess the old version of AC3 just doesn't like XP. The diaglog sound OK but the music had a rotation feel to it.

12. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Thanks again Berkner. I will try this as soon as I can and I'll post the outcome here. Just for the record, I also tried Imtoo DVD audio ripper and it works flawlessly. Very simple program to use also with lots of options (the way I like it). The problem is I only downloaded the trial version and it only allows you to rip the first 5 minutes of the audio track. The full version is about US $30 and I feel although the program is certainly worth that, I probably won't use it more than once or twice so the cost is not worth it for me.

13. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Looks like I will have to update to version 1.26 of AC3decoder if I want to use it with Windows XP. I did a test on my VOB file and and the sound is real nice with the new version . Just like Imtoo there is a small fee to activate the full version. It will only convert 50% of your file before you register. With the new version, it will convert your VOB file straight to mp3 which is nice. Like I said if you have Windows ME you can still use the free version. I do this alot so it would be worth it to me. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  14. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

Did you ever get AC3 to work for you or did you use some other program.
    I had a look at the new version of Imtoo and AC3 and for myself I think I like AC3 better. For sound I think they are about the same but I like the layout of AC3 and the way it reads files a little better.

15. Nick600

Nick600 Regular member

Since I'm running XP, I decided to go with Imtoo as I thought it offered the best results and I already knew how to use it. I guess it's a question of preference. Thanks for all you help Berkner! :)