1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting files larger than 4 GB

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by newmanm, Dec 25, 2004.

1. newmanm

newmanm Member

Hi,

Total newbie here. I have a movie on my computer in .rar format. When I try to extract the files with WinRar I get a message that files over 4 GB cannot be extracted. Is there any way to either extract the files or get the movie onto a Dvd-r so I can watch it? My OS is Windows 98 SE.

Thanks,

Newmanm

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

If you're using FAT32, files over 4 GB would pose a problem. The simplest way is to do it with a PC using NTFS, if you have access to one.

3. newmanm

newmanm Member

That's what I'm gathering. I guess the only people who can extract large files have to have Windows 2000 or XP and their drive formatted using NTFS. Kind of diminishes the usefulness of a DVD burner for a lot of people unless they just want to use it to back up files.

Thanks,

Newmanm

4. hursty

hursty Active member

is this a file you have downloaded?

5. newmanm

newmanm Member

Yes it's a file I downloaded.

Thanks,

Newmanm

6. hursty

hursty Active member

have you tried splitting the files? i dont download myself,but i have FAT32,and did intially have problems with anything over 4GB,but i use dvd decrypter,which splits the files,enabling me to create files over 4GB.

7. newmanm

newmanm Member

I just downloaded DVD Decrypter but cannot figure out how to split the file with it. What I have is 93 .rar files of about 48 MB each. I don't know how to get to the entire file to split it. I cannot extract it because it's over 4 GB. I can see how DVD Decrypter can split an ISO file, but right now all I have are the .rar files with no way to get at the disc image.

Thanks,

Newmanm

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I don't know whether this would work for you, but I've done some experimenting:
    I use a free zip program called Filzip (which is a marvellous program, BTW). I created a zip file out of 4 individual files. Then when I double click the zip file, the four original files would be shown in compressed format. Then I can just copy an individual compressed file to another location, and the resulting file would be copied to the new location in UNCOMPRESSED format. Perhaps you can try this method. Here is the link:

http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html

Good luck!

9. newmanm

newmanm Member

I downloaded filzip. I can't convert the 94 rar files into 1 zip file as it is too large. I'm not really sure what to do. The rar files will extract to a 4.3 GB disc image which is what I need to get at, but of course it is too large.

Thanks,

Newmanm

10. hursty

hursty Active member

have you tried to compress this file through dvd shrink.

11. newmanm

newmanm Member

Can DVDShrink be used to shrink a compressed file? I really appreciate the help everyone is giving me but I'm not sure if I've made the problem clear enough. The file is compressed into 94 .rar files and I have not been able to figure out how to get at the uncompressed file because it is a disc image over 4 GB. The suggestions about programs to shrink or split the file would only seem to work if I could actually get at the uncompressed image - unless I'm missing something which is quite possible! Again, thanks for all the help - I'm impressed with this forum!

Thanks,

Newmanm

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

rar files ARE compressed files, like zip files. So what I meant was Filzip is able to extract one individual file at a time from a big rar file containing many compressed files as in your case. If you have Filzip, try double click the rar file, a new screen would show up with the rar file on the left and the individual compressed files on the right. Then you may try copy an individual compressed file to a new location. From my test, the resulting file would be in uncompressed format. That way you can extract individual compressed files from a big rar file one a a time.
    Good luck!

13. newmanm

newmanm Member

Actually what I have is 94 .rar files that are a compression of a single 4.4 GB disc image. When I double-click on the first .rar file I see it on the left side with filzip, but there is nothing on the right side. I'm assuming that is because that one .rar files does not contain many compressed files, but is only a small part of the very large disc image. From what I'm gathering, unless I upgrade my OS to Windows XP and convert the formatting system to NTFS there is no way to have a file over 4 GB on a drive.

Thanks,

Newman

14. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Sorry that didn't work out.

15. newmanm

newmanm Member

I guess there's nothing I can do. Thank you for your assistance.

Newmanm

16. jimmymac

jimmymac Member

I have the same problem? A rar file of a movie, that when uncompressed is larger than 4gb (actually about 7gb).

I had tried splitting the file into two files (about 3.5gb each). Then Loading both files into DVD shrink and letting shrink compress the file as usual. (From the size of the file it appears it contains menu's, foreign language subtitles etc., which is just up shrinks street.

Unfortunately, I can't split the .rar volume. I did manage to extract files 1 to 49 and convert to DVD format. But couldn't extract the other 49 ( it just starts to unpacks from file 1 to 90 again, too big for fat32).

So if anyone knows how to split a volume rar file i'd be most greatful for the help.

cheers.