1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdaze, Oct 16, 2004.

1. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Hi, For the last few days i've been reading the guides and trying to find an answer to my problem but with no luck. The problem i'm having is trying to extract/rip a particular dvd to my hard drive. I use dvd decrypter but it reaches a certain point then it obviously finds a bad sector or something and then i keep clicking the retry but give up after 200 or so retrys. I have tweaked decrypter for aggresive mode and slowed down my speed but with no luck. Have even tried to extract with smartripper but same problem. It's always at the same spot - with the 3rd main vob file not getting past 11%. Is there a software program that actually opens up a troublesome vob file and lets you edit out the damaged sectors or over rides or fixes them?
    Sorry to rave so long. Many thanks, Harry
    P.S. I have a Ricoh DVD burner and use Nero 6 / shrink / decrypter

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

try isobuster below is there spiel:

Software Publisher's Description

IsoBuster is an expert and low-cost utility that recovers data from CDs and DVDs. All CD and DVD file systems are supported, and the program also supports an enormous range of image files. It comes with a comprehensive help file, scanning for lost UDF files and folders, and a CD and DVD surface scan. Find lost data on CDs or DVDs created with drag-and-drop applications (DirectCD, InCD, DLA, InstantWrite). Find lost pictures created and saved to CD with Mavica or other equipment.

Download.com Review of IsoBuster

This program recovers various kinds of information from any type of CD or DVD. During installation, IsoBuster asks the user to select the file systems to associate with the program, such as ISO9660 and UDF. If you don't make the selection at that time, you can do it manually later. After the software launches, it automatically configures and shows all the information on the CD or DVD in the CD-ROM drive. The program lists the computer-assigned and actual file names of recoverable files. Recovering any deleted file takes seconds. Besides the recovery functions, IsoBuster can play audio files, search for deleted names through keywords, and extract files from all the sessions done on the CD or DVD. Although the graphics and organization of the program are only average, the performance is outstanding. This software can help just about everyone.

download at: http://www.download.com/3000-2248-10208087.html?tag=tx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2004
  3. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Thanks andmerr for your reply but unfortunately i'm having no more luck extracting with ISO Buster - same story!
    Harry

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thats annoying lets see how about you put the disc in your dvd rom /burner drive.

2.right click the drive you have the disc in
    3.explore the disc
    4.copy the video_ts folder to a partition on your hard drive and then rename that folder the name of the movie

Just try that for now but see if you can get it there but if not let me know what % you get to.

Once on your pc you should be able to burn backwoods through clone/shrink

5. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Hi, i'm going to sound like a bit of an ignoramus here but what do you mean exactly by "Partition". I inserted the DVD into the burner and then with explorer open, right clicked / explore / copied "Video_TS folder" / pasted into a folder on my c drive. As expected it read the first 2 main vob files fine but stopped shortly after it reached the 3rd vob file with 4 minutes remaining.
    Hope this helps???
    Harry

6. Neuro42

Neuro42 Guest

If you have enough space on your HDD, there is another very simple and oft overlooked problem.

Is the DVD that you are trying to rip clean? Does it have any big scratches in it?

The first DVD I tried, played okay, but wouldnt rip. I looked and had a kids smeared fingerprint on it.

(I thought it was copy protected at first, but once I cleaned it everything was okay ;) )

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In looking over this thread it sure seems like you have a bad factory original. The fact that it errors out at the same point everytime no matter the software supports this.

The disc is clean and scratch free?

8. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Okay, the DVD is the Marianne Faithfull DVD Dreaming My Dreams - music doco - and i got it out from the library and yes it was badly scratched. Before i did anything, i went down to the local video shop and got them to clean it on one of their machines. It came out looking spanking new but still didn't extract.
    I guess i'll just have to give this one a miss. Pity, it's a good doco.
    Thanks for all your help - it's all a learning curve.
    Cheers, Harry

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

there is another way around this but its to involved for me maybe do some reading up on capturing VIA HAND HELD camera and then transferring it to pc via dv .The program you may also need to read up on is editdv.This is assuming the disc does play at all in its entirety.

10. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Hi, Yeah the disc seems to play fine all the way through apart from a little pixelation just in one corner at one point. Yup, more than likely where that 3rd Vob is hanging. I'll check out that other info as well.
    Thanks, Harry

11. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Hi, Okay now i'm really stumped!!! About a week later i came across this DVD (M. Faithfull) in a Music shop and low and behold it had been reduced in price so i bought it. Now my curiosity got the better of me so i wanted to see if i could copy this brand new DVD and yeah... you guessed it, while extracting right at that same point - the beginning of the 3rd main vob file, I/O Error???
    Are some DVD's just impossible to rip and copy?
    Many Thanks, Harry

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

its not that they are hard to copy its just that there may be other forms of encryption which arent necessarily evident.Manufactures do this to limit piracy.I WOULD SUGGEST YOU you re post a question on how to demux a vob and see if any of the learned members can help you ,like nephilim or at least he can point you to some one who can do it

andmerr

13. dvdaze

dvdaze Member

Why didn't i think of that... the old demuxing a Vob???
    Thanks very much for that Andmerr and it'll be interesting to see what replys i get. I'm sure the learned members have been down this road many times before.
    All the best and thanks again, Harry