1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely slow CPU speed

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by abuzar1, Aug 7, 2007.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't think this is right. Everything is new, I was planning on overclocking in a few days, but right now I haven't messed with the BIOS. I have a GA-965P-DS3. I though the E6400 was supposed to have a 8x multiplier.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: After updating the BIOS, now THIS. WTF!?
    [​IMG]

Right after that somehow my Multiplier changed to 8 so now I'm at 1 GHZ, whoptee frickin doo.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's intel speedstep. When you're not using much of the CPU's power, it automatically underclocks itself to run cooler. As soon as you start something demanding like a game or benchmark, it'll revert back to full speed.

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't like Intel's speedstep. So much that I disabled it on my motherboard so my CPU runs full open 24/7.

And I've NEVER had any heat issues to speak of.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I don't like this either, I thought it was only for laptops. How do I turn it off?

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm not sure you can on Laptops. It does it to save power and reduce heat. So you might actually be better off >.>

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's not a laptop lol. That's why I said "I thought it was only for laptops". Here are my specs:
    C2D E6400
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    Crucial Ballisix Tracer Ram(1GB, PC2-8000)
    7600 GT
    A western Digital HDD(from my old PC)

EDIT: I don't think it is sppedstep BTW. In power management I have set the minimum and max cpu performance to 100 % but I'm still at the 6x multiplier.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

You should be able to do it in your BIOS. I had the exact same board(frikking loved it.) Just go into advanced settings and disable speedstep. I don't remember exactly how I did it but I was able to turn it off.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thanks. BTW in the BIOS how do you find RAM timings and how do you see how much voltage is supplied to the RAM?

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Did you get a manual with the board? Mine had one and told me how to find RAM settings.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I found the settings(Had to press ctrl+F1). Anyway I called up Gigabyte and their tech support guy said that if I had set the multiplier to 8x it shoudn't be going down to 6x and that it was a CPU problem. Any thoughts on this?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Gigabyte says its a CPU problem because I had manually set it to 8x and it shoudn't be going to 6x. ANy thoughts?

12. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

vista will make it go back down from 100%minimum to around 10-50% even after you set it and click save, another thing i dont like about vista

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the parts came from a store & not online then take the computer to that store with copies of your post shots & tell the store what gigabyte said. try another identical cpu to see if posts correctly. see if you can up your bus speed as is running at 133 instead of 266 according to your post shots.

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I dunno if it's vista's fault. I've never used Vista but from what I hear Vista sucks(surprise surprise).

So maybe it's just Vista sucking that's your problem.

(I'm gonna rant here)

It's a solid OS, but as far as I've seen Microsoft made it harder to use, About 8x as resource intensive, and the Aeroglass GUI, while pretty, REQUIRES a decently fast video card to be used.

I've also heard that the minimum RAM requirement for smooth gaming goes up from 1GB to 2GB. All because it's a damned resource hog...

I'd rather go with Linux 2006. It's a hell of a lot less intensive and looks just as nice if not better... depending on what distro. you have.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I cant do Linux, games and all. I think I'll switch to XP though, but still the Gigabyte Tech support guy had no idea what speedstep was, so maybe I just need to speak to them again.

16. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

go back to your power options and look at the minimum cpu speed, i am guessing that it will have reset its self back to 10-50

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I founf it in the BIOS. When I called gigabyte up they told me they didn't have this option in the BIOS and that I would have to email Gigabyte in Taiwan so they could code that option into the BIOS for me. Anyway I looked around and found EIST so now my speeds are normal.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sweet... glad you got that fixed.

I had forgotten about EIST. I haven't actually reformatted or re-installed Windows in quite a while... or made a significant system upgrade for that matter.

Cheers :p

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sad thing is i had to turn it on again because my HSF was not properly mounted or something. Now I have it urned off again, have my E6400 overclocked to 2.4 Ghz(After a brief time at 3.2 Ghz but the cooler wasn't up to it) and have EIST turned off again! Thanks for the help.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

You're quite welcome!