1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F.E.A.R as a virtual drive

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by PeaInAPod, Dec 28, 2005.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I recently bought a (legal) copy of sierra's F.E.A.R I was interested in running it as a virtual drive so i dont wear out the disk and there will be no if any lag. can somebody please tell me how to do this.

2. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

You should be able to back this up with Alcohol 120% or Clone CD, but FEAR users Securom 7 so youll have to find a protection hider for you to beable to mount it as a image because it blacklists most mounting programs im lead to believe it may even blacklist Deamon Tools 4.
    Try google for SR7.stop or Securom 7 Burner Loader

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thanks big help

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I just thought CloneCD has that free software Virtual CloneDrive i think ill give that a shot first, Ill post back with the results

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I recently read about something called virtual cd hide and anti- blaxx. can u tell me anything about either as the site i saw/downloaded them off of was anything but helpful

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Ive tried all the tools i could get my hands on, i did something in a-ray scanner called TwinCreator and ive had no luck can you help me Dude2099. This is all the software i have Alcohol 120%, A-Ray scanner, securerom7 burner loader, daemon tools. please help

8. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

if i was you i would edit your post linking to gameburnworld and delete the link youll get told off by a mod. cant link to dodgy stuff. Ok, if you got the DVD version make sure all emulation options in alcohol 120% are enabled, and select the DPM option when making an image and select high speed. If your drive dont support DPM then you cant create a working backup. Mount with Alcohol 120% and edit your registry this way

Click run on the start menu and type REGEDIT locate
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\ and then delete the key "\DosDevices\X:", where X is the virtual drive letter that has F.E.A.R. mounted on it--before running the game. Please note that you do not reboot your system after deleting the key, before running the game.

When you reboot the image will remount on the next available free virtual drive letter. MAke sure you have SR7.stop running when you go to play.

I dont have the game, this is only what i have read on other forums and websites. For the CD version when you go to make an image select Securom 4/5 and dpm set to high. If it still dont work try the registry edit with the cd, its not mentioned but i think it still applies here.

:-D Hopefully it will work for you.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  9. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Was reading this on Alcohol Forums and this might need to be done if it still dont work

- alcohol 120% Support Forum

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well any moderators im not exactly sure if this is okay but if not ill change it. I was able to make a succesful image by setting datatype as securom 4.x/5.x and it automatically selected the DPM. I then (and this is the part im not sure about) when i ran it it said no CD found in drive please re-insert correct disc so i found something called a no cd patch which was the FEAR executable so i put the origanal FEAR executable in its own folder and put the new one were the origanal executable was. but yeah i still cant seem to make a working disc backup. it just says disc not formatted when i put them in?? never had that happen before. any ideas??

11. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

just throwing ideas but have yah tryed burning it onto a CD and try it that way.

12. outdy

outdy Member

I used Alcohol to make a a DVD copy without any problems. I then used a NOCD exe and the game plays fine. I don't have to deal with mounting an image. I also used one for battlefield 2 and it also works great. Some games do require you to mount an image like Battlefront 2 and King Kong. You can find fake images and NOCD Cracks a few good sites.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well this may sound stupid but i realized i wasnt using the latest version so i updated and it worked? but yeah i got a working copy and replaced the no cd executable with the origanal. thanks for the help everyone

14. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

when you updated it did you no longer need the cd for the game to run or did you replace the updated executable with a nocd executable? Just for future referances thanks

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

ok. 1. after updating i was able to burn a working copy of the origanal disc. so i no longer needed the no cd executable because i was running everything off a cd not a image file. so updated Alcohol 120%, removed No-CD executable and replaced it with the origanal fear executable. then burned a image from the mdf and mds files. any mroe guestions??