1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face Off: Panasonic E85H v. Lite-On LVW-5045

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ohyardman, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ohyardman

ohyardman Guest

My head's about ready to explode from reading specs on these two machines. Consumer reviews on the 5045 are slim since it's a new unit. (Pat yourselves on the back, this Forum is one of the few places I've found any user reviews on it).

Lite-On 5045:
    Pros: big HDD, all-write technology, easier timer programming, better price ($369 v. $400+ for the Panny).
    Negatives: Does it or does it not record and play in digital stereo? Not much feedback since it's so new. Any bugs?

Pannasonic E85H:
    Pros: mfg has great rep, stereo sound. Amazon sells it so returns are no problem. They don't carry the Lite-on yet.
    Cons: price (not a big difference), smaller HDD, TV Guide programming of limited use with my Sat Dish.

I have a NEC burner on my computer if that helps. Comments encouraged, esp from those who've used both models.

2. jsganz

jsganz Member

I don't have a 5045 (yet, anyway) but from what I've read, there are bugs here & there in the firmware. They're supposed to have a new update on their site to correct them in the next week or two. So, I'm waiting for now.
    The only update they have now is "191" which doesn't
    address the problem of greenish tint in the very dark
    portions of the video. The new firmware is supposed to
    cure this (plus some other things). It will not give you
    the commercial "skip" function which is lacking from the
    recorder.
    The stereo thing is a mystery. It's supposedly got a stereo tuner, but it's hard to pin anyone down as to
    whether or not it's actually stereo.