1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook & Society - How much attention do people really need?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by mike.m, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I really miss the 90's.

The culture nowadays for the lack of a better word is completely F**KED. Just take a walk down Vancouver, and you might feel the need to fight someone on the street. I love it, when I'm walking somewhere and a couple crosses my path, the girl will look at me, and the guy immediately hugs his girlfriend, thinking that I might take her away or something.......OKAY BUDDY.

The attitude of people; everyone is so in love with themselves or so insecure that they can't walk down the street without someone else or with a phone in one hand and starbucks in the other. The constant number of people texting while in Starbucks or crossing the bloody road. The men are now dressed like the woman, wearing those "mime/French painter" style hats, having that stupid douchebag magazine posing look on their faces, and wearing those long velvet jackets with the popped collar; it looks like Count Dracula just came from shopping at dolce & gobanna.

The music now....is not even music. All of these new "artists" have no talent at all, I don't care what you say. Having plastic surgery, and getting your voice digitized does not make you a singer. Lady miss slut slut (gaga) & Girly Bieber, just to name a few.

And with Facebook & Twatter. Where do I even start? This describes almost every facebook/twitter user, don’t deny it, even if you do ONE of these things you should go ahead and kill yourself already, your life has no meaning anymore:

Posting hundreds of photos of yourself for the world to see. Constantly updating your status, I don't care if you’re at the mall right now or what type of bread you like. Commenting on people's walls, reading someone else's conversation. Posting way too many details about yourself. And adding 500+ friends to gain self-esteem. NOBODY has 500 friends, no-one has 10 true friends.

Social networking is not social at all. It's a place to sell yourself. If you want to stay in touch with someone, what happened to giving them a call or an email and doing something outside of the house??? Just because you add them and post on each other’s site, doesn’t make you friends, stop playing this charade, so you don’t lose your ‘friend count’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5cyXac48Y

Other people sometimes post the same thing I’m writing, but no-one sees it because it gets "disliked" by the same people who use facebook:
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/21/tech/social-media/facebook-narcissistic-behaviors/index.html

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/0...ks-tie-into-self-esteem-narcissism/40728.html

And a few words from one of my favourite comedians:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSSDeesUUsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Z_ZducwbQ

It's about time for everyone to get off their asses, turn off the computer, put that phone down, and get outside and enjoy life, and be friendly to people. It's no wonder obesity is at an all-time record high.

Don't get me wrong I love technology, but it seems that technology (mainly smartphones and 'social' networking sites) are DE-EVOLVING the human race.

Am I the only one who can see the bullshit? I needed to get that off my chest.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have to agree with that they will add you on fb,chat to you on fb soon as you ask if they wanna catch up for a coffee or a beer they dont wanna know you.as for fb i use it and have about 45 friends on there 35 of them being relatives.most of them relatives being overseas.
    i personally dont use twitter the thought of strangers following me and knowing information about me scares me.

most the artist nowadays cant actually sing they lip sync and use auto tune.being a musicians isnt about singing its about promotion.The more they are advertised the more popular they become with or without talent.

some of the points you make are fair points.

3. attar

attar Senior member

To paraphrase Harry S. Plinkett:
    'I just figured it was because I'm a sociopath who likes to butcher women - oh, and you cops, there's nothing to see in that basement'

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. 2dogsfighting71

2dogsfighting71 Regular member

I missed the 90's too.

Good times that I didn't really appreciate at the time.

But some bad times, just like every other decade I suppose.

I don't do FaceAche any more, full of posers, braggers, bullies, liars, shit stirrers, nosey bastards snooping on other people, including police and the 'powers that be'.

Most teenagers I know, only go out about twice a week.
    Most nights it's just xbox, faceAche, bbm, twatter.
    Things are only going to get worse.

We're all gonna die.

I know i'm paranoid but I should be,
    because they're screwing all of us.

Wake up people. (yawn)

As for music, the top 40 or whatever it's called is mostly rubbish for young girls.
    It always has been. With a bit of half decent stuff occasionally.

My opinion... 60's good stuff. Beatles, The WHO
    ..............70's good stuff. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple
    ..............80's good stuff. U2, The Police
    ..............90's good stuff. Radiohead, Blur
    ..............00's good stuff. Foo fighters, System of a down

God I'm bored!!!

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i played xbox in the late 90s,early 00s as a teenager we use to cram into my m8s room (was more of a big shed that had been decked out) with a carton of beer 2 tvs and 2 xbox and have 8player halo.but saying that we did use to head out to play 8ball sometimes who ever was sober did the driving.