1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

failed xbox hard drive - options?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by leibj, Apr 26, 2009.

1. leibj

leibj Member

Hi all! To get straight to the punch, I have two xboxs, one with a soft-modded 160gb hard drive installed, and a second xbox completely factory. The drive on the original xbox recently failed and clicks on boot-up. I do still have my softmodded 8gb hard drive from my first xbox, and tried to swap using that one, but I've come to realize after some reading that the motherboard and hard drive combos are unique. My question is, is there a way to use my 8gb softmodded xbox as a means to make my factory xbox a softmodded xbox and get it up and running again? Otherwise, I'm open to alternative options, (I've read that a mod-chip is an option). Thanks in advance!

2. varnull

varnull Guest

chip or eeprom reader.. or these days because of how cheap they are... just buy a working one.

3. leibj

leibj Member

Ok, so there is no way I am able to read the eeprom as the hard drive is dead. My intention now is to purchase a mod chip and install a larger hard drive. Can anyone direct me to some good mod chips and where to purchase them. Thanks!

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The chip that gets the most installs here in NZ is the DuoX2 it's very cheap so i assume that's the reason as well as a good track record $28.50 nz

xecuter are another good brand as is smartxx 3,not sure what the xecuter is worth as no one has sold them here but the smartxx was around $100nz i assume coz it allows lcd's to be fitted etc,the smart chips seem ok as i have two of them fitted for more than 2 years

5. leibj

leibj Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is NZ. Some additional information, the xbox is version 1.6b and I have some experience soldering, but not a lot, but since I've heard solderless mod chips tend to come undone, I was leaning toward a soldered mod chip. Thanks.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

NZ = New Zealand,or more commonly known as land of the hobbits..lol..

As for soldering you'd be best to get a professional to do it,as it requires a magnifier & those holes are dam small as are the circuit board joints made even harder when most joints are only a fraction apart

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. varnull

varnull Guest

1.6 .. honest.. just buy another box. I'm a pro and I don't touch them.. I learned the hard way that the kill rate on the 1.6 for somebody with 30+ years soldering experience is 20%... plus the dvd drives are usually just crappy 605f's or philips fails.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009