1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake ipod nanos?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by ebay, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebay

ebay Regular member

No it doesn't work with itunes. But all you have to do is just drag and drop your music into the music folder and the same with your pic and videos.

2. spitfya

spitfya Guest

things look like they break easy
    i wouldnt buy one

3. zerosouls

zerosouls Guest

I read so many things about people saying they were 40 bucks but with all the shipping and whatnot it turns out to be like 100, i'd just make sure you have 100 on you before you buy one of these, and if you have 100 why not just save a little more and buy a nano? Way better than these things.

4. jerknuts

jerknuts Member

I joined this board just to post my experiences with my fake iPod Nano 4GB vs. my real iPod nano 4GB.

The Truth about my fake iPod Nano, reffered to herein as "myPod":

• It has an LCD screen far bigger (taller specifically) than the iPod Nano. Hard to compare resolution and frame rate qual since the iPod nano dosen't play movies.

• Feels just as sturdy and to be honest, a lot more rugged than an iPod nano. The entire device feels denser and not as pliable as the iPods plastics. It's not as sensitive to color waves due to pressure on the LCD screen either and I'd sleep much better dropping this thing than I ever would my Nano.

• The face-plate ironically enough hasn't acquired one in-pocket scratch to date, even with my keys as it's occasional room mate. I intentionally scratched it with a house key in a non-descript place with repeated tries and quite some effort to do so. I didn't have the balls to even attempt this on my nano for a comparison.

• No "click wheel" which is not only proprietory to apple, but it's also the reason these don't cost anywhere near what Nanos cost. this myPod instead has a 5 button navigation that LOOKS like a Nano's but feels and clicks like the buttons on a the average Sony Diskman. Also has pause/play on the center button unlike the Nano.

• Navigates through files much slower than the Nano's intuitive clickwheel since you have to press a button each time to progress through files vs. the Nano's zoom.

• Contrary to popular belief, it DOES come with a standard-sized 1/4" stereo headphone jack, as verified by no less than 6 different headphones. I run a studio, believe me, that was the first thing I tested. With high-end studio headphones the sound was superior. No different than the same files through iTunes on my Mac Mini.

• Comes with some cheap "earbuds" that don't sound or look like the iPods other than that they're both white with grey cords (silver actually in the myPod's case). You will fool approximately no one with this, including your self. Maybe at a distance of 10+ ft.

• My particular myPod didn't come with the Nano's leather case, though some do I'm told.

• Doesn't use the iPod dock, instead it uses a USB port exactly like a digital camera. As a matter of fact, the USB cable I use is from my digital camera.

• Neither Windows, nor OSX recognizes the myPod as an iPod. They both recognize it as a removable storage device. In Window's case, it asked what software I'd like to violate the various filetypes with.

• If you're a mac user, you can open iTunes (or anything else for that matter) and simply drag and drop what ever files you want directly to it. Same for deletion. Even files that the device doesn't natively play, such as Garage Band (.band) files that I tuck away on it when travelling to other studios. Same applies for Word files, html, etc etc.

• 4GB capacity verified by disk properties on my Mac, device properties on some generic shade of Windows, and by 3.7+GB (so far) worth of files being stored on it with zero problems.

• Natively plays mp3's, mp4's, wmv's, avi's, and a few other formats I haven't ventured into.

• Doesn't navigate anything even remotely close to an iPod (though it looks like some firmware modifications replicate the iPods UI if you're that concious about it), which with it's all-encompasing feature set actually works to your benefit.

• No battery-life light. Just the charge display on the screen.

• The screen image when you turn the myPod on/off, or put the myPod to sleep or wake it back up by holding play/pause for 3 secs, is of a lotus with animated koi in a pond, not of an apple (unless you change it).

• Has every funtional feature I've seen on the Nano but accessed in a different way. For example, "repeat play" is accessed through a player sub-menu instead of shifting an external button.

Dead Giveaways that it's not a Nano:

• Biggest one, the headphone jack is on the bottom right. To my surprise it's Gold plated inside, i expected cheap silver.
    • Has an internal mic
    • It plays movies.
    • has numerous games that you'd actually play, and you can DL more if you like.
    • The sound of you clicking the buttons is not like a Nano's its more like the iPod shuffle with Nano's buttons.
    • The larger screen size.
    • In your hand, you can see it has 4 tiny phillips heead screws about the 4 corners.
    • In your hand, you can see that the font and presentation of labels for "USB, Mic, ON/OFF" and the Headphone symbol look quite cheap etched on the brushed aluminum back plate. Not that they're low qual, they're just generic.
    • The vent for the internal mic (about 1/3rd of an inch wide by 1/4th of ai ninch tall) is visible on the bottom back.

The only one of these still visable while the myPod is in your hand is the relocated headphone cable.

In surmation, I've used this myPod to play videos, listen to music, record notes, store files, acquire phone numbers, read text, etc to the extent that a lot of the people I know with iPods are very intrigued with it. When people see me watching Chapelle Show episodes or playing tetris on my myPod Nano and 9/10 people ask me where I got it or what model it is. It does everything an iPod does and sooooo much more. The acessories (interesting USB charger and earbuds) are generic and obviously universal to many devices. They lack flare, but they work. The only complaint I have with the unit it self thus far is that I didn't buy another one. Given the opportunity, I would buy a second one in a heart beat.

The bottom line: if the iPod Nano had an illigitmate brother that did steroids, this would be it. The myPod (ChiPod, iBob, what ever colorful moniker you prefer) is essentially a 4GB USB flash drive with a built-in full color LCD screen better than the one on my camera phone and plays movies, music, games, records with an internal mic, displays text files, displays pictures, has a built-in phone book, and is highly "tinkerable" with highly modifiable software.

If I had to do it all over again, I would.

5. ebay

ebay Regular member

Sounds good

6. anupsippy

anupsippy Member

do the fake nanos support .m4a & .m4p files? like the ones you get from the itunes store? and also how are u supposed to change the volume.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  7. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

It won't play the ones bought from the music store becauses of the DRM on the files, allowing them to only be played on authentic iPods and in iTunes.

8. anupsippy

anupsippy Member

what about the ones when i put a cd in my computer and pressed import cd? they are m4a would those work? and if not is there a way to convert them to mp3

9. ebay

ebay Regular member

good question. How do we convert them?

10. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I have no idea if that is a supported format of the faux pod or not, but you can convert the files using iTunes if you don't want to download anything else. Go to Edit -> Prefrences -> Advanced -> Importing and then change the 'Import Using' to MP3. Now you can select whatever music you'd like, and right click on it and there should be an option in the dropdown menu that says 'Convert Selection to MP3'

11. Speedy16

Speedy16 Member

Everyone should just give up and purchase a real NANO. This is just a waste of money, time and effort. If you wanna hack/crack or modify something, hack the NANO

12. anupsippy

anupsippy Member

dude, why would someone pay $150 to hack a nano? hell why would someone pay $150 at all to get a nano when they can get something almost the same for like $50?

13. ebay

ebay Regular member

well said!

14. anupsippy

anupsippy Member

thx ebay. also thanks darkjello, cuz i tried ur idea and it worked fine, all my files are mp3 and it saved a buncha space too. so im probly gona get one of those fake ipods if anyone thinks i shouldnt, do let me know

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

anupsippy,

Take a look at the forum rules. Posting email addies isn't allowed so let's take yours out of your sig.

16. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I still strongly recommend against buying one regardless of how well they work for the people here.

17. anupsippy

anupsippy Member

oh sry my bad

18. jerknuts

jerknuts Member

i say get one. I love mine.

remember, these are mp3/mp4 players that are viable products in their own right. They just get re-badged as iPods.

don't be naive, the world is a lot bigger than you think it is.

19. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I'm not being naive, I'm just saying you're much better off buying a product from an actual brand. Buying a faux-pod is a risk, and unless you like gambling a lot I'd suggest not buying one.

20. ebay

ebay Regular member

Well I have one and its good. Do you have one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.