1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake ipod nanos?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by ebay, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerknuts

jerknuts Member

darkjello, i understand you've made your own assumptions and what not, but....I own one and i suggest people try it.. you don't own one and are saying it's risky.

now who's advice would you hold more weight in, someone who's had the experience and shared theirs, or someone who's guessing and talking from the sidelines?

sorry if i come across a little direct, i just don't really care what you think lol. you have no experience, so I don't see that you have a point of view worth hearing. your whole reason for "why" ...is based on an assumption. where's your knowledge? where's your facts? where's your history? see, you have none, because you've never done it.

just my 2ยข.

as an OWNER of one, i say try it. I reach for mine before I reach for my Nano. And that's that.

2. ebay

ebay Regular member

exactly! its better because it as video.

3. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

No, but I'm trying to advise the people reading this thread to think twice before buying something that might not work, and that you won't get support for.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Darkjello. Over the years I've become a big believer in "you get what you pay for" and it wasn't by accident. I've gone for more than my fair share of cheap alternatives, some worked alright others were complete crap.

Do I own one of these knockoff's? Hell no, but two or three happy folks here in no way makes it a quality product that will stand the test of time.

All I'm saying is if a person likes cheap then by all means buy a fake but if a person wants a product that has proven quality with a warranty then buy the real thing.

5. dennison

dennison Member

My wife bought one of these...She liked the price tag...and I have to say it's not too bad for what it is. It doesn't have that cheap, fragile feel to it that you would think it would. I haven't tinkered with it too much (I have a video Ipod), but I would feel confident in buying another one. The video quality of the videos that came on it are not up to the quality of the Ipod (I have yet to put any other videos on it), but, again, for the price tag, it's not all that bad. Photo quality is exceptional, the one game that came on it (Tetris) is pretty fun (BTW, how do you dl more games onto it?), and it does a few things that to my knowledge the IPod does not do...Voice record, built in FM radio tuner and the ability to be used as an USB Flash Drive (which my wife actually uses at work)...plus it's pink, which my wife loves.

6. DarkJello

DarkJello Regular member

I can't fully speak for the Nano but I would assume there is a way to access it like a USB stick, I know you can with the shuffle, just by dedicating some space to Data.

And I know these things are working for you now, but you have to ask how long the components are going to hold up. I'm not preaching you buy an iPod, but that you just buy something that has an actual company behind it. These faux-pods are just being manufactured and sold on ebay. If they were such a hit, reliable item, the manufacturer would probably step foward and sell them in stores, probably with minor changes to avoid being sued by Apple for having a product that more or less looks the same.

It is a gamble, and I'm just advising the people thinking about buying one of these to think before just purchasing. I know I don't own one but I think I've pretty clearly expressed why.

7. jerknuts

jerknuts Member

DarkJello, just as an FYI, these mp3 players can be found in any convenience store in China. This isn't a "new" thing, you only now heard about it.

please inform your self man, because you're preaching speculation and misinformation left and right.

8. Nephilim

How is it misinformation when all he's doing is saying the product has no warranty so buyer beware?

You have your opinion and he has his so chill out.

9. jerknuts

jerknuts Member

he makes it sound like it's going to self destruct like a Mission Impossible bulletin. THAT'S misinformation.

10. Nephilim

Now you're getting a bit ridiculous. Nobody said the things were going to blow up.

11. ebay

ebay Regular member

Mine comes with a 1 year warrenty. I keep in touch with my buyer and he said if it messes up I can get another one.

12. Nephilim

That's certainly comforting.

13. ebay

ebay Regular member

o yes it is! :)

14. dennison

dennison Member

I can see where you guys would have some reservations, I had mine when my wife said she had ordered one...but, after messing around with it, those reservations were squashed. It's a quality product. Is it going to last 5-10 years? Who knows?...but the same goes for my 60G IPod...Would I trade my IPod for a "faux-pod"? Of course not, but it serves my wife's purposes more than adequately. Plus, I'm more comfortable handling a $35 device than my $400 IPod.

15. PSP_DR

PSP_DR Guest

I have a video ipod and my sister has one of these fake ipods which she got on holiday from an elecrical store. At first the fake ipod seemed really good, it did videos, sound recording, good quality music etc. but when she brought it home, she realised how bad it actually is. The screen is dull and the videos will not go onto it. The music quality and menu layout is quite good but it is juat a shame that the thing won't last long enough to listen to more than 20 songs because of the very poor battery. The charger stopped working so it needs to be charged using the comp and when it is left to charge (even for 2 whole days) it never tells you that it is fully charged. The manual it came with has obviously been typed out by a chinese guy on his computer who failed english at high school. The only good things about it are the menu and its strurdyness but when compared to my ipod which ticks both these boxes plus hundreds more, it really is not worth the box it comes in. My advice would be to just save a bit more money up and get the real thing.

16. ebay

ebay Regular member

Wow your sisters mypod seems pretty messed up. Where did she get it from? What do you mean videos want go on it? Also mine came with a house charger. And I have a nano like firmware on mine.

17. CapTripps

CapTripps Member

I bought one. (not because it looks like a iPod, but because it does what i want it to.)

Bought it in Sweden, two days delivery time, one year warranty and 14 days to return it if not pleased with it.
    Payed about 130 USD for a 2Gig one.

Works fine but as with everythig I have bought there are downsides to it.

First of the usermanual is rather bad to say the least and second there is no browsing of music files, other than that it's great, oh forgot, the lid over the usb port is a bit to loose.

Then there are things that are good, plays video(important to me)and the memory is enough for a couple of movies, leaving space for a few 100 songs.
    Standard earphone jack, standard USB port (small type).
    It's PINK, had it in silver to but...
    Radio, dont need to say any more about that.
    Picture viewer, works with moving gif to, funny.
    You can lock/code part of the memory for secret stuff.
    Game, never played it, not why i bought it.
    And it does all the other thing too.

Wanna ask me something about it? go ahead and I will trye to answer.

18. jimmyyyyy

jimmyyyyy Member

can someone give me like a website to buy these fake ipods. im sort of considering buying one. seems really good.

19. Nephilim

Links are given on the first page.

20. fern148

fern148 Regular member

I'm from NYC u can get that same cr@p on Canal St. for 30 bucks...It is garbage do not I repeat do not fall into this trap....It's not worth 2 dollars...straight junk...I hope u guys listen to me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.