1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest drive for ripping DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Balaam, Apr 8, 2005.

1. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

@pulsar/nephilim
    I think we've all had our fingers burnt at least once, but if i keep not going to bed & staying up til all hours posting i may well be joining you soon with a 2nd PC. This place is addictive!

....i thought the pioneer 108 was the 'industry standard' as far as DVD burners go, i know many people who have one.. thats why i brought it. as far as ROM drives go, what speed are we up to now? are there 32X ROM drives out there yet? im not really up to speed on hardware.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I know what you mean about addictive. I get a lot of pleasure helping people out. I have learned loads & made lots of friends on the way too! What would your ideal PC be, BigPantz? If your better half had no say in the cost. (Like that would happen!! No offence meant BTW!) LOL!!
    Pulsar.

3. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

anything thats rather fast and wont play games so i dont have to hear 'Dad, can we play Sims 2?' all the time...lol

i dont know anything about computers, but i am open to any suggestions as ive just inherited an old one (Pentium 1, windows 95) that im going to have a go at upgrading a bit so them pesky kids will leave mine alone. hehehe.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My new LiteOn will only read @ 6x, NOT 16x. I should have stuck with Plextor

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the size of the movie, software being used and the condition of the disc. Here are average times for my Lite Ons:

Lite On 166S/167T

Tetsuo: The Ironman/SL @ 3.14GB

Start: 6.37X
    Average: 10.81X
    End: 14.03X
    Elapsed Time: 3:48

Seven Samurai Criterion Edition/DL @ 7.58GB

Start: 3.31X
    Average: 6.05X
    End: 7.96X
    Elapsed Time: 16:56

We need to ask bbmayo if he tweaked his Litey because mine's never done a DL disc anywhere near six minutes. Any pointers Mr. Mayo?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have PMd him about it, no reply yet!
    I also started a thread too, just to see if anyone else knows.
    Tested on 7.7gig dvd, 31mins. Plextor does the same in 25mins!
    Did a nero speed test, ended up with 6x! Bag 'o' shite!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  7. Nephilim

31 minutes for a 7.7GB disc? Damn! It should at the very least be half that.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Tell me about it! I am a bit hacked off at the moment. I put my Plextor in my other PC too! Might have to swap them around until I get this sorted.

Liteon does not have the model on their website either. I guess it is because it is an OEM drive. No firmware, hacks etc either!

Pulsar :(

AKA, really pissed off at the moment!

9. alseides

alseides Guest

I have the 167T. The 166S is the same except it can also read DVDRAM, which is pretty my not important. (to me atleast).

I can rip 8gig in about 8-10minutes.

And pulsar, these are just combos drives that dont write anything. they just rip. Why would you need a hack? Maybe for fun, but hacking these things won't do much.

10. Nephilim

Which model did you end up getting pulsar?

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hacking can make them region free. I am fully aware of their capabilities.

Neph, I got a Liteon 16p9s, as recommended by BBmayo!

Might get a 167T, pissed off with this one already!

Pulsar

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Pulsar,
    Not really sure why yours is going so slow? I havent done a thing to mine and it rips a whole DL DVD on average of 8min. I just stuck it in place of the slot loading Pioneer I had, and my PC specs arent even all that either. AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 1GB Memory, Older Gigabyte Mobo. It isn't even hooked up to the newer Ultra DMA IDE slot (IDE 0) it is running on the older DMA 2 slot (IDE 1). I do have the forced ASPI layer installed maybe thats it? I'm really surprised yours isn't faster than that I have installed quite a few of these on other systems and everyone has loved there speed. Have you checked the DMA settings? I'm sure you probably have, but just a thought..

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I don't have a forced ASPI layer. I have never had to do that yet. I will have to read up on that one.
    The only difference is that is it hooked up to an IDE card, as opposed to straight to the MOBO. I will swap it around & give it a whirl. My Plextor ROM never had that problem though!

GODDDAMMMITTT!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply, these things are sent to try us!

Pulsar

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

According to the PCI card itis set to DMA mode2. I would have thought that it would have been higher than that!

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Man I don't know what to tell you? Sorry ;-( I wouldn't have told you that drive was good if it wasn't. Like I said before I have put around 12 of these same exact drives in systems and they all were fast! Not one person complained or had the slow results you are having. I did run Nero speed test on mine last night and it only averaged x8.4 so I don't think I would take to much stock in that. Then I poped in one of my 7.8GB original DVD's and ripped it with Decrypter in File mode (All files) just to watch what it did while ripping. It started out around x8 speed and said it was going to take like 25 min... Then it went up to x14 and when the disk was done being ripped the total time elapsed was 9.6 min. Did you let your's go ahead and rip the disk to see what happens? Maybe its the disk and not the drive have you tried other originals?

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I was using "The league of gentlemen" dvd as a comparison. I swapped the drive onto an IDE slot, instead of the PCI card, result - even longer to read!!! 35mins!!:(
    Still reads as UDMA2! AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Not really sure what to do now. Will try a different disc tonight & let you know how I get on. I have just got in from work, so it will be an hour or 2 before I get the results.
    I do not think that I will get an improvement though, due to the DMA factor. I E-mailed LiteOn last night, have had no reply yet. To be honest, I doubt very much that they will!

Pulsar

PS, BB, thanks for the PM!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  17. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

I know compusa is crap, but couldn't refuse my friends offer. $20 for a brandnew comp usa dvd-rom. I can rip a 7 gig movie in about 7 min. Not bad for $20!

18. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I also bought a 16p9s on the recommendations here and am also dissapointed. It seems less able to read scratched disks then my old sony, which would read anything. I've only tried one scratched disk so far, but this is very discouraging, since I deal with a lot of abused disks. Equally disspiriting is the read rate. It started out at 0 and creeped up to 8.4, which is barely an improvement over my old 8x dvd-rom. Control panel says its DMA2. Suffice it to say, I'm pretty pissed. What can I do to increase the speed?

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

That is exactly what I would like to know. I can only get DMA2 also. Not many people seem to know the answer to this one. I am getting mighty pissed off about it to!!

20. Nephilim

Weird. My 167T runs in UDMA-2 and works a treat on scratched discs so I wonder what it is that makes them perform differently.