1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest drive for ripping DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Balaam, Apr 8, 2005.

1. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pulsar,
    Mine is working in DMA mode 2 also with no problems. Usually only one of your IDE channels will run in the faster Ultra DMA mode 4 or 5 and thats ushually IDE 0 you may want to check it out with your mobo, but if it isn't newer that is more than likely the case you have it hooked up to your IDE 1 controller, but again this shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you got a bum drive? It happens sometimes

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I think it could be the case. I guess I will stick my Plextor (old "Bessie") back into my main PC & my bag "o" shite Liteon into PC number 2. It will save me having to read & burn with my sony.

Live & learn I guess. I may get a 167T LiteOn. Am a bit reluctant to shell out though, what with my past experience!! LOL

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ Balaam, where did you get your drive from? I bought mine from E-Buyer in the UK.
    I wonder if they are locked at the factory.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I got mine from amazon.com in the US. Slightly better priced after shipping then the other eretailers in the US. Does anyone know where in the US one can get a 167t? The eretailers I checked don't carry it.

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I've just ordered my 167T, might as well give it a go. I will always have a back up I guess!!

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i really wish i could find another 166s as a spare . this drive has been durable and has worked great right out the box . i cant seem to find them anymore , i guess the 167T must have replaced it .

8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

So, what's the expert opinion? Is this a drive issue, or a setup issue? If I buy another brand of 16x dvd-rom, would I possibly be able to reach 16x?

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen or heard of a ROM that will hit 16X with regularity. Mine have all nudged just a bit past 14X on occasion but that's only with SL discs.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am not sure about this one. Unfortunately it seems that this cannot be answered at the moment. I am a little bit hacked off, esp with LiteOn, I have not received a reply to my E-Mail yet. I will be, quite frankly, amazed if they do. The attitude of manufacturers really sucks. Once they have your money, they lose interest all of a sudden!

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, after ripping about 3 DL and 3 SL disks without the speed rising above ~8x, I finally got a decent result with an anime SL dvd. The speed averaged 9.8x and peaked at ~12x. That made me happy, but then the very next disk I put in, which was actually pretty prestine, came up with I/O errors, which frusterates the hell out of me. I hate having to use my slow ass nec3500 for ripping. This one's going back. But at least now I know that it's not my system, so I feel a little better about experimenting with another drive.

12. Difempire

Difempire Guest

ExtremeMgz does some of the best dvd-writer reviews that ive seen so far as they (Miguel) includes dvd ripping in the dvd burner reviews. Apparently, Benq, Liteon, and Plextor do not have a rip lock built into their firmware (while pioneer and nec do). To see the reviews for drives scroll down to the drives/storage section and pick a drive. The plextor 716 was the fastest ripper of those tested but had some other issues in the review. I use the benq 1620 and it is very fast at ripping, but slower than some at DL burning (which i never do). I got the benq (chiefvalue.com has then for $50-60) because it is quieter than the liteon and cheaper than the plextor.

http://www.extrememhz.com/reviews.shtml

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Any Lite-ON 16x DVD-ROM or Asus 16x DVD-ROM :)