1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Apps

Discussion in 'Android Phones' started by lawndog, Jan 27, 2010.

1. lawndog

lawndog Regular member

Well being that there was no posts in here I figured I'd get the ball rolling on it.
    So what are yalls favorite apps for the android.
    I have the HTC Hero through Sprint and currently I have:

Docs to go (did do full version for $15)
    Real Blackjack, by genina (free)
    Texas Hold um Red Poker club by Somobi (free)

Personally I love my droid phone. I really like that all I have to do is add my contacts into either my google account or my phone and the 2 automatically sync. No need to hook up the cords. Also my youtube account is synced, with all my playlists favorites and my personal uploads.
    Along with my calander. Only thing i wish the Calander and contacts did was take the birthdays and put them on the calander for me. Would keep me outta the dog house a lil ;)

So lets get this one going......
    Which android ya got, Whats your favorite apps for it, what do you like about it
    and whatever else you wanna share???????????

LD

2. mediajunk

mediajunk Member

Ive got the HTC Dream... But unfortunately it's very far from it. All I have experienced is problems. but when it comes to favorite apps:

1. Wheres my droid? - Awesome. sends gps location of phone via text message
    2. Locale

Another problem is that the HTC sync doesn't work with 7. Also my phone has a mandatory upgrade which didn't work with my PC so they disabled my phone for not getting it. *sigh* Also i live in canada and the android market isn't available, AKA can't buy stuff, which is probly a good thing. :)

On a positive note, I see so much potential in android. And ive seen the hero and it seems to be quiet impressive compared to mine. The OS seems far smoother and glitch free, also avoids force closing more.

3. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Do you have problems with sms replies coming in after your originaly message?

4. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Though I don't have an android device anymore, my favorite app for my G1 was the WiFi Scanner. It amazed me to see how many people do not secure their wireless networks around the city. I used to turn on the wi fi scanner, ride the bus around the city, and come home to find out how many unsecured wifi signals I found. It was simply amazing!!

5. lawndog

lawndog Regular member

Yeah I run into that sms issue a little bit. It's not to terrible though. Usually only during long conversions though.

6. dailun

dailun Active member

Bar code reader

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

DM Updater

8. rampipe

rampipe Member

i got the sony X10 XPERIA favorite app has to be paper toss game great for wasting 5 mins at tea time!!!

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If I had an Xperia, my favorite app would be SPrecovery...because that is the only way that the Xperia will ever have a current firmware.

10. pspcolo

pspcolo Member

I like the bar code app, scanner radio where I can listen to police, iheart radio i can listen to local radio stations when I'm not in my truck, those are my favorite there are a lot of free cool apps that's probably the best thing is that there free.

11. rampipe

rampipe Member

What do you mean? I have had no problems with my xperia and it does all the same things as an i (rritation) pod?

12. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I know it is stable...but the 2.1 update that I got over a month ago will not be available to you until Q4, 2010...and by then, I will have the 2.2 update that will make my old droid run about twice as fast as your Xperia X10.

13. rampipe

rampipe Member

Woppy doo! By the way my friend , when is Q4 2010?

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

between october 1st & december 31st

15. lawndog

lawndog Regular member

Um check again, the 2.1 update for the sprint HTC HERO came out yesturday. The version you recieved was not the official release, the one posted yesturday was.
    Check Sprint or the HTC website for the update. Just make sure you have the latest HTC SNYC or your update won't work right.
    This is a full update and will delete everything from your phone so make sure your contacts are updated.

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I don't have a Sprint Hero, I have a Droid...I got 2.1 a while ago; verizon even did an OTA update of it. It was the official release of 2.1; but I didn't install their OTA one because I wanted more capabilities; so I got a rooted copy...my droid may not have an "official" rom, but what it has is even more updated than the "official" one. Sony X10 owners get to wait another 4-6 months for the update I have had for so long that I am already sick of it...and I will be getting 2.2 sometime next month, and by the time the X10 gets 2.1, there is a fair chance I will have 2.3

Great hardware specs on the X10...but without support from Sony, my humble droid will crush the X10.

17. lawndog

lawndog Regular member

Just saw somebody already rooted the evo, thing just came out yesturday. Gotta love xda developers. 2.1 has been running pretty good. Seems to lag out a bit more then 1.6 did, but still a nice change. I doubt the Droid will be able to handle the next update..... whenever that may hit. Guess I'll be breaking down and getting the EVO, but then again it looks killer.
    Oh ya, supposed to talk about apps............
    I just got the program "PDAnet", it allows you to tether your phone (use your phone as a modem) Speeds aren't great, but it's good when you need it.
    anouther app if theres any geocachers out ther is "c:geo", it'll link to your account and has a comapass on it. very cool app if your into that type of thing.
    "audiomanager" is anouther good app that will let you visually set the colume of individual noise making things.
    Anybody have or seen a good FREE alarm clock that will play my music? had 2 so far that I'm not to thrilled with

*@killerbug, wasn't trying to question you. the way I read it, it seemed like you were saying it wasn't available at all. My apologizes for me miss reading.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  18. jigdish

jigdish Member

These are most of my favorite ones. Enjoy!

SportsTap- great for checking sports updates
    Inrix traffic- great for using as a sig alert type application
    shazam listens to a song and tell you who it is
    evernote note taker
    astrid task reminder
    motoTorch Flashlight with out dated Morse Code but still pretty cool
    dolphin browser good web browser
    any cut- allows you to make shortcuts of anything you want. (people you contact or twitter with)
    the weather channel-
    yelp-
    places directory- will gps your location and tell you what is around you.
    night ringer So only important calls get through in the middle of the night
    layar- like locale but free
    first aid- pretty cool if there is ever an emergency
    eco charger- lets you know when your phone is charged 100%
    drinking games-
    carrr matey- lets you find your parked car
    astro- is a task manager
    advanced task killer- kills tasks running in the back ground

19. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

PDAnet is a decent app if you don't have froyo or root access, and you are on verizon.

Astro is a lot more than a task manager. It is a file browser, a photo viewer, a document editor, and it does a few other things too.

Archipelago & TrafficJam are both fun games.

Autostarts will give you a huge performance boost if you use it correctly...you won't see it in benchmarks, but you will see it in general use.

Linpack is just a benchmark app, but it is a good one.

Google translate...it speaks for itself; literally!

Photobucket - saves time; but don't install it unless you have autostarts; otherwise it will slow the phone.

Rom Manager - Makes modding the phone easier.

SpacePhysics - fun little game...not very long, but fun and it supports froyo Apps2SD.

Toss It - throw paper balls at trash cans.

Wiregoggles - make your dumb friends think that your phone does nightvision.

Torque - get live readouts from your car's computer; reads and clears trouble codes (check engine light).

AK Notepad - just a basic notepad for jotting down quick notes. Don't install it unless you have autostarts.

Egg Timer - just what it sounds like.

DroidLight - the official flashlight app from motorola; works with Froyo.

My paper plane - not a great game...but very good for something that is free.

Solitaire

Remote RDP Enterprise - The fastest remote desktop app I have found. Only works with windows RDP; but this is actually the most efficient form of remote desktop that there is right now. Allows you to set the windows resolution to match your device; it is almost like you have somehow installed windows 7 on your phone. I use this frequently, as there is a website I use for work that only works in internet explorer...now it works on my phone!

20. 0951751

0951751 Member

The are my favorite, not to mention the most useful of all android apps (at least to me), *MOST* of these will work only on an HTC Evo or Android 2.1, or so I've been told:

Advance Task Manager - Kill most programs running in backgroud
    Startup Manager - Enable/Disable startup entries. Can speed up boot time
    Wireless Tethering - Wireless Tethering without paying the fee
    Zedge - Download fan-made Ringtone/Wallpaper
    LED Light - Enable camera's flash to be used as a flashlight
    Alarm Clock - Alarm clock
    Layar - Reality browser - kinda like XRAY vision where it shows you what's around you where buildings and such are blocking your view
    Uninstaller - App uninstaller
    Antivirus - App/phone setting/virus checking software
    Astro File Explorer - File explorer
    MixZing - Music play. The only free one (that I know of) **WITH EQ**
    Rockplayer - AVI, MKV, DIVX, etc... movie player
    MusikJunkz - Music downloader (like Limewire)
    JuiceDefender - Control services, enable/disable all or certain services to save battery
    CoPilot - A turn-by-turn, voice activated navigation app that utilizes the integrated GPS (no internet required for navigating)
    Torrent-fu - Send torrents remotely to your download list on uTorrent (windows) or Transmission (mac)
    Spare Parts - A more extensive/advance version of "settings" (your phone's settings)
    Note Everything - A notepad that does everything involving notes, import/export to/from SD card, palm memos/docs, PC docs, voice/paint note, EVERYTHING
    Wii Controller - Uses the Nintendo Wii controller via bluetooth to control/play games on your Android device (works on GameBoid, SNesoid, Nesoid, BBCoid, Gensoid, and on non Sense UI devices. I turend Sense off on my Evo)
    GameBoid, SNesoid, Nesoid, GBCoid, Gensoid - Retro gaming system emulator: Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Gamboy Advance, Gameboy Color, Sega Genesis, etc...
    Metal Detector - Uses the built-in magnetic sensors to detect metal

...There's so many more, but this is all that I can remember only.