1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fed up

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pakrbakr2, Feb 27, 2005.

1. pakrbakr2

pakrbakr2 Member

I'm trying to back up my disks and have had nothing but problems as of late. When I was using platinum by itself I had nothing but perfect backups (way back when). Since that has gone away I have puchased ANYDVD, CloneDVD2, Nero and the rest of the whole nine yards. (Some of you may chuckle here since I know too how to get them for free but rather pay them). I have been getting nothing but choppy coasters since platinum. I have followed all the rules by disconnecting my internet connection, turing off as much as I can in the background and burning at 4x. I am using Memorex DVD-R (could be the problem but have had lots of luck until this point), which were working perfectly at the time. Here are the problems that I have been having besides the choppy coasters that I have been making lately....if I burn something with Shrink, Nero does not complete the burn and states that the process has failed.....if I try it with Clone DVD2 with anyDVD running in the background, Clone writes the files, but hangs up right before the burning process. I've been trying to figure it out without asking, but I finally have to turn to you, the afterdawn crew and its membership to help me out here..... I have more coaters as of late than backed up movies..... Am I missing something? What info do I have to give to you so you can help me ballpark this problem? Any help that I can get from the community would be more than helpful.

Thank you!

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

you seem pretty "adopted" in the knowledge of ripping. as for the problem, you may have too much space on your hd. defrag your hd.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

go to this site:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html

also change the memorex discs,heres a read from scubapete which is still very relevant:

First off, we need you to change your media, Memorex is an excellent example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example., Princo, Fuji, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 RiData, Ritek, TDK, Sony or Verbatim discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Orange Pack, Princo, Fuji, Great AZO and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts varying amounts, true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

pakrbakr2 if you arent using dvd x copy anymore make sure its totally deleted from your system, go into your c drive a make sure theres no dvd x copy folders do a disc clean up and defrag.then try reinstalling the programs your using and DUMP THE MEMOREX for sure and use better media like TY,Ritek,TDK.Verbetim and you might have to do a firmware update on your burner also. hope that helps.

5. pakrbakr2

pakrbakr2 Member

Thank you all for the quick responses. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. I will make sure to completely remove platinum from my computer. I also purchased 50 Verbatim Advanced Metal AZO disks from Meritline.com. I'll let you know how everything turns out when I receive them.

Once again.....thank you!

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

aabbccdd, why should he completely remove Platinum from his HD? I have used it for ages & it has never given me any problems. In fact I only have decrypter & shrink installed as a back up, in case Platinum will not do it. I know I will ruffle a few feathers when I say this, but there has been only 1 I could not do first time. Needless to say it was RE Apocalypse. I had to run it through decrypter first then use Platinum.

There are many who are very quick to condemn X-copy products. Personally, I am very happy with them. Having said that, I would NOT recommend anyone to buy it. There is no support for it & it is VERY expensive. Especially as Shrink/decrypter(when necessary) & nero do a very, very competent job. If you have AnyDvd, then you are well sorted.

Media is absolutely crucial in getting good burns (RW cuts out the coaster factor!). there are lots of other major factors. The main one being patience!

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

pulsar i told him that because his not using dvd x copy platium any more and its possible it might conflit with the other programs that he is using.and btw iam still using dvd x copy platium also and theres only one movie i had trouble with and it was RE-2 also lol .now iam running region+css in the background and since ive had that theres nothing it hasnt been able to rip. but iam gonna change to anydvd soon.

8. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I have to give Memorex some support because i have over 100 movies saved but you need to use the dvd+r.I had to try a few programs before i could find 1 that would work so don't give up & even then some movies will require you using a different program.

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Memorex suck,some people just cant get that through there heads.
    Hey movies27,how about giving us a media I.D. on those great memorex your touting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  10. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Umm i'm new here so i dont know how to do that but i use Sony,Maxell & fuji now.But if I catch Memorex on sale I get them.

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Hey jim_dandy

he obviously didnt read this properly !!!!!!!

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Maybe movies27 is getting [bold]only 49%[/bold] coasters,so he/she thinks there ahead of the game. LOL

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I think anything under 95% is a waste.

Get those good maxell's and sony +/- 1x-8x. Lots of ty media in those 2 brand names-if you know what you are looking for, and still the same price a memorex when they are on sale. I get 99% + on these, and no stand alone compatability + playability issues,on my benq burner. Re-ripping those backups-on the fly at 100% and no issues.

14. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Jim I've switched to Sony & maxell since but i have movies stored on Memorex from over 3 & 4 years ago & they still play fine.I think it's more of a to each is own thing......LOL (back at ya)