1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fedora 16 random freezing

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by palwill, Feb 23, 2012.

1. palwill

palwill Regular member

i'm relatively new to Linux, i used it a lot in the past but i have been dumbed down with my recent use of windows. when i run fedora it seems to lock up every time i try to change a system setting. i have read that it might be my graphics card or some hardware issue, but i don't believe this to be true because it is the same on all of my computers. i just re-burned my live CD and will try a full re-install. is there anyone that can maybe point me in the right direction? any help is much appreciated.

-update- re-install worked perfectly...so far.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

often this is bad ram.. anybody having the same problems with the same grafix card?

if you are using the proprietary driver from the makers they can cause problems, especially with open glx ;)

otherwise have a look at your xorg.conf foe any dri/dpmi settings which may be conflicting... about all I can suggest.. never liked fedora..

3. palwill

palwill Regular member

thanks for the help, i have also found that i dont really like it very much. any distros you can suggest?

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I homebrew.. when it comes to a distro I do like.. Sabayon is the one for me these days. Not everybody gets along with gentoo based setups.. Debian have committed suicide with gnome3 ..

5. palwill

palwill Regular member

ill check it out, thanks.

6. Schmick

Schmick Member

I run Arch on all of my machines, and wouldn't have it any other way. A bit of a learning curve to install it the first time, but you'll learn a lot about how things work in Linux (in the general sense, not just Arch specific) and the configuration files make management of the running system nice and easy.