1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female USB in my controller...Help!?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by gebs, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gebs

gebs Member

I am new to modding, and I have yet to mod my xbox.

I am attempting to softmod it by attaching a female USB port to my xbox controller. I pulled up a guide on some website

(http://www.freewebs.com/bmxfreakrider/xboxcontrolleronpc.htm)

then I took apart my controller. I unscrewed the memory card chasis from the circuit board and pulled off the bottom memory card connector which left me with five connector thingies sticking vertically out of the bottom of the circuit board. I had an old usb cord with a female usb port on one end and red, green, black and white wires on the other. I soldered them according to the guide's instructions (although his was on the top so I may have soldered the wires the wrong way). After putting everything back together, I had a controller with a cord sticking out one of the memory slots with a female usb port at the end.

I attached my USB flash drive (2gb sandisk micro cruzer) to the new USB port on my controller and when I hooked it up to my xbox, the flash drive lit up, but nothing was happening on the xbox. What could be the problem?

If it matters, the USB cord is an old one from 1997, so its not USB 2.0. I don't know if that relates or helps in any way...

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

3. gebs

gebs Member

OK so now if i insert my flash-drive on the memory screen it gives me this message: "The memory unit you inserted isn't functioning; it may be damaged". However if i leave it in and restart the xbox, it recognizes the flash-drive as a memory card. The guide above says if all went well it should say that "The memory card wasn't working properly and has now been erased" which is not what mine says.