1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Name Changing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by daddynene, Jan 18, 2007.

1. daddynene

daddynene Member

hello everyone i hope i have posted this in the right place!! Anyway it has just come to my attention recently that every time i change the name on any of my file types whether they be avi, notepad, wmv, any!!! it renders the file unuseable can anyone please tell me what is wrong or what i have done wrong i am using win xp pro sp2

thankyou in advance

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

How are you changing the name of the files?

3. daddynene

daddynene Member

right click then re-name this has never done this until this week do you think i have done something wrong or do you think it is a virus or something i even tried using "unlocker" this does for changing even dll's but even this rendered the program/file un-useable

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. daddynene

daddynene Member

is there anyone who can help me then morph perhaps??????? i answered the post after an e-mail last night but to no avail there was no reply please help it is probably the stupidest of problems

5. bkf

bkf Guest

Nothing stupid about the question. If you rename movie1.avi to movie2.avi it's still the same format and should work like the orginal name because the file association is still the same .avi
    So have you been installing anything strange in the last week. Just what the world needs, a virus that won't let you change filenames. What will they think of next. The net is starting to become a real pain. Well start out with the famous HJT log in the virus room.

Ps: Morph asked a very proper question. Do you know how many people rename a file from .avi to .mpg and think it's going to work.

6. daddynene

daddynene Member

i tried that and thankyou i have been configuring and building computers for years how stupid of me to overlook something like this however in my defence usually whenever i changed a filename before it used to complete the und of the file ie.txt or.3gp ect thankyou very much though and hey i am now a junior member woo hoo no more newbie

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  7. bkf

bkf Guest

I never look at a persons status level. Everybody is equal and deserves the same respect from new to admin. People ask a question and if I think I can help I will, No questions asked.

8. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

daddynene,
    Are you by any chance deleting the extension of the file while renaming it?
    Also, what exactly do you mean by 'it renders the file unuseable'?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Only one way I could think of that would render the file unusable, is if you rename the file without any extension. But, that would create a pop up warning dialog in which you'd have agree too.

Second, would be as bkf suggested, trying to rename a file with a different extension...which is not a form of file conversion.

The way I usually rename files, isn't by using the right click menu, is just to click once on the file to highlight, then once more to bring up the rename action. A good thing to do, is to enable the extension view of all files. Go to Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". That way, you'll see what extension each file is associated to.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007