1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File recovery help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by GStealth, Sep 14, 2007.

1. GStealth

GStealth Member

My computer recently got a virus that attacked most of my .exe files, including explorer.exe... I was wondering if there was a way to take files I needed from it... I have Symantec Ghost, but I havent been able to get it to save an image to my external hard drive...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, you'd have to be careful not to take any infected file off the drive. Deepscan the drive using a good antivirus before you do anything.

3. GStealth

GStealth Member

I cant really run anything (I think) because the virus actually deleted explorer.exe, so when I start windows, I see my wallpaper, my mouse, and nothing more... I think I can run windows in safe mode with command prompt, but I cant run windows directly because explorer.exe doesnt exist, unless Synmatec Ghost is playing a trick on me... Is there some way to recover explorer.exe or move files to my external hard disk using a command prompt?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is this for a laptop or desktop? The safest way to get your data back is to buy another small hard disk and install windows on it. Then attach your other drive to the PC after the install is done, Virus scan it and try and rescue some of the files. Once you've got what you want, reformat the virus-ridden drive. With luck you won't keep the virus, but I'd disrecommend copying any exe files over to your new drive. Leave the games, you'll have to reinstall those anyway, just copy your save game files over.

5. GStealth

GStealth Member

Its a laptop, Im using a friends desktop at the moment. It has antivirus software, in case theres a way to connect the two.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, that makes that method a little difficult. You will need to take the hard drive out of the laptop to ascertain which one it is, buy another the same, and a 2.5" USB enclosure to put the old one in. You'll also need your windows CD!