1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

file size reduction when transcoding to hard drive???

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jbmill88, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

When converting avi to dvd,i always write to a hard drive folder first, then use nero burning rom to finish project. My question is when i'm setting up nero vision to transcode to dvd, it tells me the project is going to be to big to fit on the dvd. I then write it to a hard drive file instead, with all settings in high quality. After the transcoding is done i go to the burning rom [but what i notice is that the size of the avi that nero warned me about has reduced to something less than my dvd+r9 can hold.] My question is is nero automatically dropping the quality of my avi or i this a normal drop in file size during the transcodeing process.

I'm worried i getting an invointary loss in quality and i would like to maximize my dvd space.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

How large was the compilation according to NeroVision? Is there a possibility you have it set for the normal DVD and not DVD-9.

Have your ever tried burning the project to the Image Recorder instead of the hard drive and then burning the image using NeroBurning ROM?

3. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

Yep!! i'm got it on dvd9.
    the original size was a little over 8.5g's after transcode it was 6.7g's????
    I've seen the image recorder option but haven't been sure what it is? in other words, no i haven't tried it. what is the diffrence or benafit?

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

It is not normal for a video to be smaller after transcoding, so perhaps you are not looking at the entire output when you give a file size. If you do an image, you will know exactly how large it is.

For me, it is easier to burn an image than the video files from the hard disc. If you are used to burning from the hard drive, it may be easier for you. To burn an image you made with NeroVision, you can double click the file, or open NeroBurning ROM and look under Recorder-Burn Image. An image is really good if you plan on burning several copies of the DVD.

5. jbmill88

jbmill88 Guest

I'm getting my readings from the bar graph at the bottom of the set up page for the mpeg-2 transcode and the burning rom pages.

The quality of some of my projects are ok, but others are slightly blurred like the bitrate is low or resolution is low or something and these are avi's of newer movies.

I'll try the image recorder avenue...