1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File size too big for DVD (4.7 GB UDF)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by roger_npg, Mar 8, 2005.

1. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

Ok simple followed the instuctions to convert Xvid to dvd-r using TMPG. Problem a 700mb Xvid its average video bitrate in TMPG's project wizard (4/5) will only go to 2000 kbits sec making file size 123% i cant go any lower and the Estimated file size is like 5188.17mb it needs to be like file size 97% but i cant go lower than 2000 kbits sec TMPG wont let me drop the %? disk capacity just stays in the RED and a 350mb Xvid i can only go up to 8000 kbits sec and its only at 84.4% file size??

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Do it anyhow, author it, then use DVDShrink to make it fit.

3. triggahap

triggahap Guest

I have same problem :p

I have been tryin to get xidv format files to DVD, and i am using the newbie guide on this website.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

It doesnt say how to (just say it for peeps that know wta they r doing) the "low resolution" option or "16:9" but i can only use low resolution to get the file down to below 4.7GB to fit on a DVD disc. Only problem wiv this of course is that most of my files have a higher resolution than this option supports. Since TMPGenc codec is all about quality, any advice on how i can stop the file being so big and b able to use the other options to get a higher resolution? (Some of my files are only 700mb DVDrip Xivd files yet they still seem to make a file that wont fit onto a 4.7GB disc aless i use low resolution.)

( I did try this lower resolution for one of my lower res files but the sound file didnt work so i used virtualdub to create a .wav file which worked. Also the video file that came out claimed to b only 30mins long on using all media players yet wen i pld the movie it was clearly the whole length...... to add to my worrys wen i went to DVD auth the file it made was longer, with like 3hours of nothing, so i hae id to cut this last bit of blackness out? ANY WAY OF PREVENTING THIS IN THE FUTURE?) My main aim is to get the files on to a 4.7GB disc wiv out loosing quality. Wat am i doing wrong?

Sorry for the long post just that i will not have the internet in a few days time so i want to get the process workin to it full potential before then.
    And thxs alot in advance for any form of help.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

XviD compression has nothing to do with mpeg-2 compression. A "700mb Xvid" doesn't tell me anything.
    How long is the running time? What bitrate are you encoding at? What is the source aspect ratio? What is the source framerate?
    See this thread for lots more on this topic.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/160364

5. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

Most Of my Movies are
    Width - 640
    Height - 272
    Duration - 1:34:58
    Bitrate - 113kbps
    Audio - mpeg 3
    framerate - 25 frames sec
    data rate - 125
    Video compress - Xvid
    size on disk - 700mb
    video sample - 12bit

and this link is to the guide i followed: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm
    their is 6 pages i followed them perfectly ?

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

OK!
    This is a PAL source, so hopefully you want to make a PAL movie.
    Open your avi in virtualdub.
    Click YES if you get a warning about vbr audio.
    Click Audio, Full Processing.
    Click File, Save .wav
    In tmpgenc, cancel the wizard.
    Load the original avi as the video, and load the newly created .wav as the audio.
    Click Load, and browse to the tmpgenc folder, then to the Template folder, then to the Extra folder.
    Select "unlock.mcf".
    Click the Setting button, and set the options in this order:
    Size 720x576
    Aspect ratio 4:3 (unless you actually own a widescreen TV).
    Framerate 25fps.
    Rate Control Mode 2 pass VBR. Click the Settings button beside, and Change the AVERAGE bitrate to 6190.
    Go down to Video Format and change it to PAL.
    Encode mode: Interlaced
    DC Component precision 10 bit.
    Motion search precision Highest quality (very slow).
    Now click on the Advanced tab.
    Video source type: Interlaced.
    Field order: bottom field first.
    Source aspect ratio 1:1 VGA
    Video arrange method: Keep aspect ratio 2.
    Click OK.
    Click Start.

7. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

Ok thanks just a little more help and a qustion or 2 about your instruct;
    Ok i cant change these parts;
    Go down to Video Format and change it to PAL.
    Encode mode: Interlaced
    DC Component precision 10 bit.
    Motion search precision Highest quality (very slow). ,their faded out u Know wont let me select anything ??
    also so i encode as a MPEG-1 Video "this is right"
    and if i have a couple of ntsc i change the size to 720X480 23.976fps adverage bit "2 pass vbr" 6190? or is this different number?
    And the whole interlace and non interlaced i have a progessive scan tv 16:9 so ???? shouldnt i (progressive)"non-interlace"
    but over all u have explained things well but their is the point of not able to change
    Format:
    Encode mode:
    DC Component:
    Motion search:
    i think this sounds important and i why cant i change these values??

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Tmpgenc will lock things sometimes, when you choose a template. It's easy to unlock.
    Click on LOAD, and browse to the folder where you installed tmpgenc, then to the Templates folder, and then to the Extras folder. Click on UNLOCK.MCF
    You can now change any settings. (deja vu?)
    Here's where things change from what I said above.
    Change the aspect ratio on the Settings tab to "16:9 Display". This is the aspect of the TV you are going to be viewing it on.
    Change encode mode to non-interlaced.
    Those are the only 2 differences from the settings I mention above.

NTSC movies require framerate conversions. Going from 23.976 to 25 fps you can do. If your NTSC movie is 29.976, and you change it to 25fps PAL, the video can get seriously jerky, amongst other problems.
    The number "6190" is based on the running time of the video, and the amount of bitrate needed for audio (224kbps).
    In this case, the running time is 1:34:58, so I came up with 6190kbps video bitrate.
    How did I come up with that number?
    Easy, go here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/calc.htm
    Input the running time, and it will show you the video bitrate you need with 224kbps audio. <grin> Like magic!

I should warn you, the settings I have shown could take tmpgenc up to 40 hours to encode the video!
    This is dependant on how much other stuff you want to do on the computer, the speed of your CPU, and the intricacy of the video (more motion takes longer to encode), which is why action movies take longer than drama's (generally).
    There are ways to speed it up considerably, but usually at a cost in quality.
    If tmpgenc gives you an estimated time of more than 20 hours, change the bottom box on the Settings screen to read, "Motion Estimate Search (fast)"
    This should cut encoding time down to about 4 hours or less.

9. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

everything is looking fine thanks very much.
    so can i ask if tmpg converts the avi/wav into a mpeg-2 file how big will this file be roughly, i mean will i be able to just put it into intervideo windvd creator
    and it will fit on a 4.7gb dvd-r "right"
    and u seem smart, so how does the pixels 624x352 or even other xvid scenerio eg 608x256 ,576x240 ect and tmpg changes it to 720x576 thats alot more pixels "go figure" "WHAT HOW" i mean when we start with 720x576 from a DVD use GordinKnot compress it to as above "eg" now is TMPG like a uncompressing agent to get those pixels back if not it must blur alot to make up for it?

10. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The file will be as big as you tell it to be. This is the AVERAGE bitrate setting. Higher average bitrate means larger filesize. Lower bitrate, smaller file.
    See above. I use a bitrate calculator to do this. It is all based on the running time of the video. A 2 hour video must use less bitrate to fit in 4.7 gig, than a 1 hour video.
    See this: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/calc.htm
    Tmpgenc works some video magic behind the scenes. It doesn't add anything (except the black borders needed to keep the video from being squished or stretched), but it does resize each pixel. A pixel (one dot) can be square or rectangular, and tmpgenc simply enlarges each pixel to the size needed to take the source pixels, and make it the destination aspect ratio pixels. There are the same number of pixels in the video, they just get larger.
    A video that STARTS with a lot of pixels (high bitrate, large aspect, low compression) will generate a much higher quality mpeg-2, because each pixel doesn't have to be enlarged as much.
    Blurring and "macroblocking" (those large square blocks on the mpeg) are the result of a highly compressed source video, and tmpgenc's attempt to "make up" for what isn't there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  11. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

Thanks for the info, it ended up 4.1gb it does play in mpeg in real player and Win dvd player but i noticed a little slight pause here and there like dont get me wrong it runs smooth as looks good to, it took like 13hrs to do i just notice its like small jerks ? is this from changing the frame from 23fps to 25fps or this is typical all round ? any how thanku very much

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

It could be because of the framerate conversion, but it could also just be the player/computer combination.
    You'll have to burn it and test on a standalone to see if there's any real jerkiness to it.
    Glad you got it done though. :)

13. roger_npg

roger_npg Member

"Open your AVI in VirtualDub.
    Click YES if you get a warning about vbr audio.
    Click Audio, Full Processing.
    Click File, Save .wav"
    What if this is AC3 not VBR audio what changes besides just using Virtualdub do i need to do?

14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If the avi contains AC3 audio, then the process is a little different.
    Get virtualdub mod, open the avi.
    Select Streams, stream list.
    Right click on the audio, select full processing.
    Then hit the DEMUX button.
    This will preserve AC3.
    You then use that extracted audio during authoring, no need to encode/transcode it.

15. triggahap

triggahap Guest

rebootjim m8, i am lookin to convert my video files to DVD. I will use virtual dub to extra sound since i found TMPGEnc codec aint the best for this.
    Most of my files are XiVD format with various aspects ratios Kbps FPS frame size and running time.
    Cud u give me a quick kinda guide or point me in right direction of how to get the best quaility from knowing these settins.

Atm i find using the walkthrough on this website the file that comes out is too big aless i use low resolution mode.

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005