1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Systems- Do i need an OS with NTFS? or is FAT32 ok?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by daveee, Dec 20, 2002.

1. daveee

daveee Member

I have just bought an A05 Pioneer Burner, just wondering what Operating System I will need to run as I've heard some programs will not run properly or that FAT32 system does not like large files.

At the moment I run WinXP on a 40GB drive and Win ME on a 10GB drive. These both use FAT32 file systems I assume. Do i need an OS with NTFS to copy DVD-9 to DVD-5?

Thanks for the help_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD XP2000+, 512DDR, PioneerA05, WinXP/ME DualBoot[/small]

2. dipu

dipu Member

I think u do need NTFS file system. I have got problem with FAT system. Try with NTFS ..it is working good:D

3. presby72

presby72 Member

you do need to convert to NTFS as it is the only file allocation table that handle sizes above 2 gigs and beleive me your files are going to be larger than 2 gigs. you can not convert the ME drive to NTFS as it is not supported, however your XP is easy just follow these steps:

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
    Open Command Prompt.
    In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

4. Marianne

Marianne Member

I have a spare 10G drive that I usually do my movies on........this is at the moment FAT32 (I am also using XP pro)....I have or am just changing my mode of doing movies to DVD decrypter followed by DVD2one and then burn with record now max.........the DVD decrypt opens with FAT32 4gig problem......if I convert this smaller drive to NTFS will this solve my problem and also will the 10G drive be big enough........thanks in advance