1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

file transfer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by viper8437, Aug 23, 2004.

1. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

ive been trying to set this up for a couple of days now and ive been searchign all over the internet for information but was unable to find anything so finalyl ive come here to see if anyone can help

i have an laptop running XP and a desktop running XP
    i need to transfer some files from the laptop to the desktop

so i bought a crossover cable and connected the two computers and started using the 'File Transfer Wizard' but even i select one folder such as my documents, it starts transferring, what seems like, all the files on the hard drive. i mean i selected one folder and its been collecting files for the past two hours

so can anyone help me transfer these files, by a different (free) program or any other way possible.

i also currently have a wireless internet connection on both computers. so i was wondering if i could exchange files that way? through the hub or something. but i am unsure of how to do this. any help would be great because i need these files transfered in the next couple of days as i will not have the laptop later on

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

just set up a home network with the wizard once you have done that just drag n drop your file into the shared docs folder on the pc 001 or 002 or whatever number each pc has on the network

3. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

thanks
    most of that worked except for when i tried to open the laptop shared files on the desktop it says access denied

how can i fix that?

4. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

i think its the firewall built into xp just swith it off or i could some programe like zone alarm that you have as your firewall just allow acess in that
    but i had the same problem with it saying access denied
    and also i could see files on 1 pc but when i went to look at files on the other it just kept shutting down
    i fixed the problem but can't remeber how now but like i say i think its was the firewall...

5. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

nope

tried the firewalls and nothing happened

6. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

stumped on that 1 ill keep looking for you but someone will reply who knows whats up.

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

First try pinging the other computer from a command line by typing ping <ip address of other computer>. If you can ping it you know that the network is working an you have communication between the machines.

Next make sure that you are logging in to both computers with the same user name and password and that both computers are in the same workgroup.

If you are logging on with different names, create an account with the same name and password as the other computer on each of the computers and use the "connect using a different user name" when you are trying to map a drive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  8. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

thanks for all ur help

but i was sick of trying without any success over and over
    so i bought a external harddrive and transfered the files from that to the desktop, erased the harddrive and returned it

thanks again