1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final parts. Need your opinions.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by veezee, Feb 24, 2008.

1. veezee

veezee Guest

Im a newbie when it comes to building a pc. But i have been researching alot. I dont play FPS games on the pc. Mainly RTS games. I already have a WD 320 GB hdd, dvd burner, monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    This is what i have picked out so far(just need a case). Tell me what you think.

cpu - intel allendale E2160 1.8ghz $74- I have read that it is highly reccomended to overclock
    mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L $90
    Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    vid card - SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported $60
    - can i get away with using a cheaper graphics card since i dont play FPS
    PSU - Corsair VX 550W Power Supply $80

I am going to be ordering the parts soon. I just wanted to get some opinions before i did.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

not worth it get a cpu with at least 3.0 ghz, you wont be able to play any recant game with 1.8ghz (gears of war requires at least 2.4 ghz to run) at the same price you can get a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 2mb cache (i know its not dual core but you wont feel that much of a performance difference)
    what is your socket type? i'll take a guess 775?

thats good, 2gigs is a nice set

-tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  3. veezee

veezee Guest

I have a 360 for Gears of War and all other FPS. I only use the PC for RTS games.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

A pentium 4 is nothing compared to a Pentium Dual Core its garbage actually when compared to a E2xxx series cpu no matter the ghz 1.6ghz of core 2 is better then 3.4ghz of netburst :).

5. Zukhaib

Zukhaib Regular member

Hey there mate, i see your only going to be using the newly built computer for Real-Time strategy games, i.e. Age of Empires and stuff like that?

But let me tell you the specifications you are getting are really demandingly crap. Utter waste of money, RTS Games are also become power hungry. The 550w Power supply is fine. The RAM is fine. The CPU is fine it's a dual-core which is fine, i do recommend that you Overclock, but make sure not to over do it. The graphics card is cool, but RTS games are becoming really power hungry, i think upgrade your Graphics card to the next model up.

Bye. Zukky :D

6. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

i think the parts you picked out for a budget are fantastic. The E2160 should easily get you around 3Ghz if you overclock. Even if you don't its waaaay better the any Previous generation processor out there... so the 1.8 factory Ghz on the the E2160 is much better then a P4 at 3.2Ghz

I think you really should reconsider your video card and get something along the lines of the HD3850...if you can drop a bit more cash!

7. dazila

dazila Regular member

Yes a E2160 is alot better, I think that a E2140 is better then a 3.8ghz P4.
    Its just like that the new Core 2 CPU's which the Pentium Dual Core is based on too, are very fast for their lower ghz due to the Core 2 effeciency unlike the Net Burst system used in Pentium 4's.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

tripplite, no offense buddy but you don't know what you're talking about :)

Get a E2180, it's only 5 dollars more. Combine that with the awesome motherboard you are getting and you get lot's of overclocking done.

RTSs tend to be more CPU demanding and less GPU demanding that other games. Still, try to get a better graphics card if you can.

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

geez you people jump like cobras dont ya!
    im sry i missed out on the "RTS" part, i though he wanted to play
    FPS games?
    (i reread it i know im wrong)
    i was under the impression that 74$ dollars was his price tag for
    a CPU, i think the lowest CPU requirement for any first person shooter
    lately have been 2.4/6ghz, thinking that he wanted to play FPS with only around 74$ i thought he might as well get a northwood p4 and be better off considering many FPS will run on a cpu as long as it meets the minimum hertz requirements (i thought his price tag was around 74$),

see the way a forum works people is that many people contribute to it,
    so that everybody's opinions are heard on an equal level, that way the
    person who opened the thread can look at all the suggestions and see what right for him (your peoples suggestions)

so im terrible sorry you were all offended, i hope people dont snap all over your faces when you guys make a mistake

Abuzar1- so you just walk into a thread that was answered a week ago and repeat what has already been said and jump what i said (which was corrected by dazila~in a correct fashion),, and tell me i dont now what im talking about....

whatever
    happy building;)
    -tripplite

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Dude I'm NOT snapping in your face. Notice, there was a smiley face there. lol

Honestly even a 3Ghz P4 doesn't compare to a 2 Ghz E2180, because it's essentially a CORE 2 DUO.

Look here:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=892&model2=882&chart=425

The Compared CPUs are in RED. The one that's winning is a 1.8Ghz Allendale compared to a 3.6GHZ Pentium 4 Extreme Edition.

The E2180 is a 2 ghz Allendale, that can EASILY overclock to 3+ Ghz on the motherboard he is getting.

Edit: Also I only posted one day after dazila.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008