1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finalizing Build

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Eugene482

The missing harddrive space doesn't deal with partitioning it has to do with SP1 not being able to read/use any harddrive over 130Gb. If the drive is a IDE drive (big wide cable) then there is usually a jumper setting you can set to get full use of you harddrive. Also how big is the harddrive supposed to be?

And as far as integrating service pack 2 goes, it is a simple process and it is completely automated. It is as simply as ripping your windows cd and reburning it, granted with 1 step inbetween there. I can walk you through the whole thing if you want it really isn't that hard and it should solve your problem.

And about my sig. What it does is take the data your computer sends out takes your IP, your OS, and the browser your currently using and puts them in that little box for you to see. No one else (including myself) controls the sig. And your operating system is Windows XP service pack 2 is just a software upgrade.

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hey, unfortunately, my hard-drive is SATA. It's not IDE. Also it is 500GB in size. Also, integrating SP2 on the CD... how will that help? Thanks in advance. Not any of the steps require you to delete/format anything right? THanks :) it's a great help.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it probably would.

4. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, interesting. Worth a try I suppose.

6. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I sent e-mail to WD Support. It's kinda weird, I didn't receive the hard-disk box (prolly because they forgot to give it to me)

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Since you bought the harddrive online you most likely bought it as a OEM drive.

That most likely is a issue with formatting the drive and losing space doing so.

And as for that link, it only deals with IDE harddrives. If you integrate SP2 on a install CD then there would be no time were SP1 would be limiting your Harddrive. And yes using the SP2 integrated CD would require reinstalling Windows.

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

By reinstalling windows, do you mean just reinstalling or reinstalling and formatting the entire hard-drive? Ehh, that would kind of suck.

Oh I don't get it. There's a lot of pages on the google that talk about the "137GB limitation (127GB binary)" and I still don't get any info out of it. . . .

First says the "motherboard" sees all 500GB, and where is that? Yet XP sees only 127GB... Seagate has a program that fixes this problem.. and WD doesn't/

BIOS:
    Brand: American Megatrends
    Version: 0603

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

How big of a hassle would reinstalling the OS be? You just installed it yesterday...
    If a hour or two of your time isn't worth being able to use that other 400 or so Gb then so be it. But that is the only option I see as to fixing your harddrive. And the problem doesn't lie in hardware it is due to SP1 only being able to read 137Gb maximum.

10. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Ha, lol. I just fixed the problem. I was wrong about WD not having the software. I just downloaded Data Lifeguard Tools and in less than a minute it partitioned the unallocated space not even affecting the existing data. I basically have a 500GB drive divided into two. :) Thanks for all the help.

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

12. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Nah, I was able to install ASUS drivers on service pack 1. Oh, for some reason, whenever I try installing a driver for USB 2.0, it says all XP versions include it and doesn't let me install it yet when I plug something in, it says "high-speed" is plugged in and its speed will be reduced.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Glad you got it worked out :)

And for your USB problems, it could stem from two places 1)the USB device is using the USB 1.1 standard, or 2)if you are using a USB hub, then that hub may be using the 1.1 standard.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

High speed is plugged in? Shouldn't that mean something fast is plugged in?

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Not necessarily. If it says "High Speed USB device plugged into non-hi speed usb port" or something similar to that then no.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Then that would mean he has an older port right? Yeah like you said the USB 1.1 hub.

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Correct.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Either the USB2 driver is missing, or the USB ports you have are only 1.1 speed. Given that this is a new build, I think we'll discount the latter. Have you tried finding the individual exe setup file for the USB2 driver?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  19. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yeah, on the driver disc of "P5K or P5KC".

I tried plugging in my camera, and then it said "this device can perform faster" then I clicked it and it gave me a list of all USB ports. Then I inserted the P5K CD and clicked driver update on that list. Then it kep searching, found the driver, installed it but then I plug in my camera again and it still shows the same message.

About the .exe located on the D:\Drivers\USB2 it tells me the same thing that usb2 comes with SP1 or so.

20. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

sry for 2x post. My GPU goes up to 66 C when playing a game.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007