1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finalizing DVD

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by terkar, Dec 4, 2004.

1. terkar

terkar Member

I keep seeing that you should finalize the Disc in order to be able to play it on other players.

What does finalizing a disc mean? I read where you can finalize it to - or + R but Can you finalize it in RW or RAM? If not whats the sense of having RW or RAM? As you can tell I am very new to all of this.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey terkar, Finalizing a dvd whether + or -. A home burner has the luxury or recording in different speeds.Take me or instance, I record survivor every week on dvd.I can hide commercials.I can add each episode on same disc on LP speed.I can keep taking the disc out all the time and then add to it.I can also put 2 or 3 of my vhs movies on a disc. After the disc is complete:titles edited and other edits,then it is ready to finalize.My stand alone says finalize on +r. Now on +rw, Its says make compatable. Its just like a floppy disc.After finalization,no more can be added or edited. It is permanent. On the rw's these can be erased and start all over again. Most home recorders are either + or -. I have been hearing of a few that will do both formats.That would be the way to go.I am not sure about the RAM discs.Mainly it is the conveniance of adding different episodes so you can fill up a disc. Hope this helps, Later