1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

find firware without sim

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by bigman75, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

Is there a way you can find the firmware you are using on your i phone without the sim card. my cousin gave me a his i phone to fix cause it was freezing all the time, so i plugged it into itunes and held the button down and i think itunes installed new firware on it so it does not freeze anymore. but i want to unlock and jailbreak it but i dont know what firmware it has so i can do so. any ideas will be great thank you

2. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hi! ^o^

You are able to check what firmware you have by downloading f0recast from here and plug in the device and it should say what the device is with the firmware in brackets at the bottom of the window.

Hope this helps! ^o^

3. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

thanks very much just downloaded it worked perfect have been tearing my hairs out for days tryin to figure it out.again thanks for help will by you i pint if i ever meet you.lol

4. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

lol you're welcome and I'm gonna hold you to that! :p

5. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

can you help with something else i downgraded my phones firmware from 4.0.2 to 4.0
    cause people say it is easier to jailbreak and unlock BUT i cant unlock it
    cause i dont have the right sim so i wonder do you have to have a sim or
    is there some kind of guide to show me what to do. thank you

6. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

If I remeber rightly, you can activate your device when you jailbreak with Backra1n. There's a tutorial to jailbreak here. The only problem is, you will need to downgrade the device to 3.1.2. I don't know what device you have and what the age is of it, so I don't know if you'll be able to downgrade that far. If you can, you can then jailbreak and unlock on 3.1.2, or you can jailbreak then upgrade using a custom firmware, which you can create with sn0wbreeze, which you can download from here. Seeing as you was able to downgrade to 4.0, you sould be able to upgrade to there from 3.1.2, using a 4.0 custom firmware, which you can set to be automatically activated when you create the firmware! ^o^

If you need any help, give me a shout! ^o^

7. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

if it works scrap the pint i will buy you a barell of beer cheers mate.

8. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Just let me know if it works for ya ^o^ The only reason why it might not work, is if blackra1n doesn't activate the device, but everything else should work fine! ^o^

9. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

could not downgrade so i am trying a diffrent aproach but have a problem suprise suprise,i am using snowbreeze but every time i try to load the ipsw i get a 1600
    error message. any ideas

10. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hi! ^o^

To be able to upgrade using a sn0wbreeze firmware, you need t have jailbroken your device already, with a method that isn't a userland jailbreak. So Redsn0w or blackra1n would do. You still haven't told me what device you're trying to unlcok and jailbreak, so I can only give you vague responses on methods as I need to cover all devices... lol If worst comes to worst, you can always purchase an activation sim. I made a link here it's worth having a look at and it's so cheap aswell. Always handy to have so you don't come across that problem again! ^o^

11. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

here is some of my information i posted in another site thought i would copy and paste it it saves wrighting it again thanks.

Can someone please please help me, About 9 months back my mate gave me a iphone 3gs running on 3.0 firmware(i think)now as far as i can remeber i jailbroke and unlocked it with blackra1n everything was fine.
    Now he has come back with the phone saying that it frooze on him so i managed to fix that but i updated the firmware to 4.0.2 then i managed to dowgrade to 4.0 thinking it would be easy to jailbrake and unlock(how wrong i was).
    I have been trying for a week now i used snowbreeze but i read that your phone needs to be jailbroken to use that.
    I dont have a sim for it cause i took it to a phone shop and the lad said no irish sims work in it and it must be from a diffrent country.
    so can someone please please help me out and point me in the right direction thank you sorry for going on a bit.
    should mention i never saved shsh blob files when i first
    jailbroke it but i did when i downgraded it

Baseband: 05.13.04 - 6.4_M3S2

12. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

That clears up loads for me now! lol

Unfortunately, as you haven't saved your SHSH blobs and are unable to downgrade any lower than 3.1.3, you will not be able to activate the device using a software approach, as all jailbreaks since 3.1.3 have required the device to already be activated.

As I said in my earlier post, you can always buy an activation sim on ebay. I found a seller here, which seems to be pretty cheap. It's always good to have aswell, incase you ever have this problem again in the future. Sorry I can't be much more help to you. :-(

If you find out your iphones bootrom, and if it is the old bootrom, let me know and I will upload a custom firmware for 4.0.2 for 3gs, if you do activate and jailbreak your device on 3.1.3. Here is a tutorial for you to find your bootrom version. It says at the top to use f0recast, but don't, as this is not accurate and only guesses your devices bootrom and can get it wrong. For example, I have an old bootrom 3Gs, but f0recast tells me I have the new one... -_-'

13. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

hey link i hope this helps USB\VID_05AC&PID_1227\CPID:8920_CPRV:14_CPFM:03_SCEP:01_BDID:00_ECID:000003A2720AD5CC_SRTG:[IBOOT-359.3]

14. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

It appears that you have the old bootrom! ^o^ There is still the issue of activating the device though... :-( Unfortunately, you're still not going to be able to get past the emergency call screen without a valid sim card, as you can't downgrade to 3.1.2 or lower, by the sounds of it. Can you install 3.1.3 on your 3Gs? o.0

As I said though, you still need a valid sim to activate... :-( If you can downgrade to 3.1.3 and activate with a sim card, then you can jailbreak with spirit and then upgrade with a custom firmware, after a little tinkering... lol Also, an unlock will be available to you with ultrasn0w. Then once you start the cycle of upgrading with a custom firmware, you will always have an unlock with ultrasn0w, as custom firmwares don't upgrade your baseband! ^o^

Also, I highly advise backing up your SHSH blobs using Firmware Umbrella, from now onwards! ^o^

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  15. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

Thanks very much for your help link i wouldent mind i have been doing this for a week now and i dont even get to keep the fucken phone its for my wifes cousin.
    i will let you know how i get on. cheers mate

16. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

I had a looksie around for you this morning and apparently you can activate and jailbreak 3.1.3 using redsn0w 0.9.4. Here's a tutorial. I haven't used this particular jailbreak myself, so I can't be too sure of the success of it... lo lYou said you jailbroke it for him earlier this year, so hopefully, Cydia might have a SHSH for 3.1.3 on file. If there is, then you're in luck, if not then you won't be able to unlock without a sim... :-(

17. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

i already tried that umberella thing and it searched for shsh for 3.3 and said there was none and i was out of luck i actually tried all 3gs but the only shsh files they got is 4.0.2 and 4.0.back to the old drawing board i guess.