1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding My burner OEM..Help

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by BoSoxs07, Nov 22, 2007.

1. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

I have a HP DVD Writer 840y & HP DVD writer 740e & Im trying to find my OEM & can't find it no where on the Net please help im trying to book type so i don't have so many issues with my dvd players.There wasn't a option for HP booktype setting on DVD Decrypter or Img Burn.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Try using the LiteOn or LG for the 740e - the drive is made by one of those. For the 840y try the LG - looks like the drive is made by them.

3. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

Thxs but how would i know if i got the right setting ?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. binkie7

ImgBurn or Decrypter will give you an error if you pick the wrong.
    If one of these options (LiteOn or LG) allows you to booktype you'll get a picklist to pick the option - dvd-rom. Once you pick that and click ok then you'll get a succesful messge.

5. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

I tried them but no luck both of them gave me the error message but i still got a pick option menu.How can i tell if my burner will let me book type either model? I went to Img Burn then click tools-drives-changebook type.Is this the right way im doing it ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  6. binkie7

I checked here - videohelp with the model # and it showed that bitsetting (booktyping) was an option for the drive. Though the 840y all I could find was the 840i & 840e.

In ImgBurn have a disc in the drive and try clicking on the booktype icon though it really shouldn't make a diff.
    [​IMG]

7. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

Just tried to put a dvd+ in both my drives & no luck Binkie whats my next step...?

8. binkie7

I'm at a loss on this one - usually videohelp.com is pretty accurate when the say it will booktype.
    So it's looking like these drives will not booktype since ImgBurn or Decrypter will do it.

Very long shot but you can try the LiteOn booktype utility - link

After that the only option is burn -R if the players are being picky w/ the +R.

9. BoSoxs07

BoSoxs07 Member

I left a message on ImgBurn forum & they told me both drives was LG...What about firmware upgrade is there any for my burners...Also the LiteOn booktype utility didn't work it said F/W not support.

10. binkie7

They're probably right - some of those guys over there know just about everything on the different drives.
    Not all LG drives support booktyping - if these were LiteOn's then they would. Looks like videohelp didn't get these right. Looks like these drives don't booktype.

For firmware the last one for the 740e is 42JH
    from 3/06.
    I can't find one for the 840y - only the 840e so might not be the right one and that too is from 3/06 - link

11. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

BoSoxs07,

I believe that HP drives booktype all +R media straight out of the box. Burn a +R disc, then check to see if the booktype was indeed changed.