1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox Crashing

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by mpenney, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Does anyone experience a lot of crashes with Firefox?
    IE works just fine and then when I switch to Firefox it always has a problem and has to shut down.

2. SRH22

SRH22 Regular member

your probably using firefox version 3 delete it and download version two..www.oldapps.com

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Lots of crashing with FF can be a sign of some ram going bad.. personal experience ;)

4. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

And how can you tell if the ram is going bad?
    I have no problems with IE

5. varnull

varnull Guest

A memory testing application?

FF was the first thing to run into troubles.. everything else seemed normal. As the ram gets progressivly worse it ends up in a state where it will not even load in safe mode but segfaults and exits instead.

I'm only reporting my personal experience.. replacing the dodgy stick cured the problem immediately.

It doesn't take long to do a ram test, so don't rule out the possibility before having a look.

6. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

You know of a place to do the ram test or how to perform it?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwmemory.html

You may get some surprises.. I have a stick which is supposed to be 256, yet only has 32 working. Run the tests with everything sleeping, then start up some stuff and try it again ;)

Why not sign up for Garmoons "computers 101" course? He's just itching to get started ;)

8. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Why not sign up for Garmoons "computers 101" course? He's just itching to get started ;)[/quote]

And how do you sign up for this course? Limk?

Thanks

9. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Which of the huge selection do I want to use???

10. Racer_XO

Racer_XO Member

If you are experiencing problems with Firefox, you either have a hardware or software issue. I have been running Firefox since v2.x and v3.x is stable as well. Have you tried a clean install of the OS first, it is good to clean out your system every so often. I reload my OS about every six months.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

The class is closed!

12. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Another disguntled educational instructor. Shame.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

the first one.. memtest (freeware)

Does no harm to check your ram from time to time, especially if certain programs crash or hang.

FF seems to use a quite specific set of offsets (a lot of memory hogs do).. sometimes just swapping sticks around can clear the fault temporarily, at least for the fox. I have tested it on 6 or 7 systems and every time the problem has been either with bad ram, or the damn flashplayer not closing properly.

Over in lunux world we got ff3 well before windows saw it, so we did lots of debugging. Early versions were rather unstable, but with our feedback they have all been sorted.. Saying that.. I'm not using it because I'm happy with iceweasel (ff derived debian built thing)

well.. should be solved with those 3 suggestions.. If it continues to give problems either revert to 2.x or try mozilla or opera.. don't expose your system to the world with IE.. mr malware is waiting for you... hehehe
    Coffee and back to bed for me.. I'm trashed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  14. SRH22

SRH22 Regular member

No the problem is FF version 3...its a bad version it causes all things of random errors...stop using it until they fix it..till then stick with version 2 www.oldapps.com