1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox upgrade/install in Mandriva 2007

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by HazelB, Apr 26, 2007.

1. HazelB

HazelB Member

Installed Mandriva 2007, did a wraparound winmodem driver - it worked! - now I want to upgrade Firefox from default 1.5 version.

downloaded the 2.0.0.3.tar.gz, unzipped it to my Documents/firefox folder. Now I have a folder named firefox with all the application files in it.

How do I make it execute?

tried the configure>make>make install, but terminal can't find these commands.

tried lots of things, nothing has worked as of yet. Fireefox will not automatically update even though I have checked the appropriate boxes in the Firefox controls.

thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Have you tried this...

Open a console in the Firefox directory you mentioned and type

./firefox

3. HazelB

HazelB Member

Mandriva 2007 kernel 2.6.17 -5mdv KDE

[root@localhost firefox]#./firefox
    ./firefox-bin:error while loading shared libraries:libstdc++.sa.5:cannot open shared object file:no such file or directory

also tried ./firefox-bin
    error . . .:lib.mozjs.so:cannot be opened . . .

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  5. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thanks, been thinking that I shall do the Mandriva Spring with the bug fixed, and triple boot with Debian and Ubunto.

For this, I need to acquire a reasonable internal analogue modem, one with the possibility of drivers that don't co$t $20 @. The Conexant ones for soft or Winmodems do.

Please be specific, general information is good, but I need names...

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Personally, I think that with 3 distros you are being a Linux dilettante, especially if you need to ask questions like "how do I make it execute?". Surely it is better to just have one and learn it inside out?

7. HazelB

HazelB Member

point taken. I feel that since Dell has opted for Ubunto, I need to keep up to help friends who have gone that way. I like Mandrake cause I started with that one although just last week... Debian intrigues me as being more secure and needing more expertise.

Which would you recommend to learn from ground up, and why?

But I still need a functional modem, and I don't have the knowledge to pick one that will work with Linux. Some distros come with drivers for some modems, yes? I want to spend my money wisely, need to get it right the first time.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I personally don't think it matters what Linux distro you choose to learn from the ground up. Their differences are much less than their similarities. It's like driving cars. Learn one thoroughly and you are 99% OK with another.

I personally started with Slackware, then Mandrake 7 (now Mandriva). Now I use SuSe at home.

Re. Winmodems - they seem to be a problem area for Linux, here is a good page of resources...

http://www.linmodems.org/

9. HazelB

HazelB Member

I feel like such a nube…

I'm running Mandriva Free 2007.1 now.
    And I have an external modem. TFM-56X TRENDnet
    I’m out of $ for the rest of the month

When setting up with a new connection, my provider is not on the list offered, and it doesn't seem to matter which I choose, I still get the same response: ringing and then connection noises, but returns no connection.

When I choose the Conexant|HSF 56K HSFi Modem button, the error message states that I need a driver from the commercial version of Mandriva or a driver from the www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/ or www.linmodem.org site.

Is there a way to achieve 56K connection without paying for a driver?

10. HazelB

HazelB Member

So the driver is contained in the external modem, but Mandriva didn't see it until I physically removed the PCI winmodem.

Now I'm on to sound - don't hear it yet.