1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire/Usb problem with Pioneer dvr-108

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dmt, Sep 15, 2004.

1. dmt

dmt Member

I just brought a new Pioneer 108 (firmware 1.10)burner and using it as an external burner for my laptop, at first I am using it with a Bytecc usb 2.0 enclosure but it gave me "I/O semaphore timeout error" (dvd decryter). Even with the semaphore timeout error it eventually finished the burn, I just have to sit there and keep on pressing "Retry". I thought it was the enclosure giving the problem so I borrowed another external enclosure (Bytecc firewire) from a friend and the "semaphore timeout" went away.

The problem is the burner/firewire won't let me burn at full speed (8X max). I used nero cd-dvd speed and the burst rate is 12mb/s (firewire), meanwhile burner/usb burst rate is 22mb/s. It seem like I can't burn faster with firewire, usb enclosure let me burn faster (12x with Ritek G05) but keep on giving semaphore error, lower the burning speed same result. Is there anyway I can make the usb and firewire burn without problem, I don't mind buying a new enclousre. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope this is the right thread, if not I am sorry (newbie)

The media I am using is Ritek G05, the system is Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 2.4ghz, 60gb, 512mb, nero 6.3, dvd decrypter 3.5, xp sp2 (tried to go back to sp1 same result), usb2.0, firewire 4pin to 6pin

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a problem with your enclosure.

Have you tried using your enclosure on your friends PC?

All connections good and tight?

Have you tried swapping cables?

3. dmt

dmt Member

I tried both enclosure on different PCs, they work fine. I also updated the aspi layer (adaptec and forceaspi 1.7/1.8), I check the primary and second IDE and they both set to DMA same result.
    The problem with usb enclosure are well known (semaphore) so I am ok with that. However firewire seem to give me the problem with the burst rate, I check online and found 12mb/s can only burn at 8X max. Is there anyway I can release more burst rate for the firewire enclosure? my BIOS doesn't gave me that option.

4. dmt

dmt Member

I also tried 2 different 4pin-6pin firewire cable same result. I check device manager and firewire enclosure only listed as Oxford Semiconductor Ltd IDE IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device, I am not sure if its the oxford 911 chipset. My friend told me this enclosure model is ME-320.

5. Nephilim

Have you tried updating you chipset, USB and Firewire drivers?

6. dmt

dmt Member

USB and firewire chipset are all updated by XP, and I don't see anything on dell website site either regarding those update, my firewire is "Texas Instrument OCHI IEEE 1394 Host Controller", and USB is "intel 82891DB/DBM usb 2.0 enhanced host controller - 24CD". I can't seem to find any info on it. Both driver are provided by Microsoft, could that be the problem? if it is where can I can the driver for Texas Instruments ? I did tried to update the driver from intel, same result. Also the whole system been formated 2 weeks ago and everything been reinstall and updated by XP sp2 and Dell.

Hey Nephilim, thank you for your help, I appreciated...

7. Nephilim

Anytime buddy :)

For the sake of clarity did you update the motherboard chipset drivers as well?

8. dmt

dmt Member

Motherboard chipset and Bios are updated from Dell web site, have you ever heard of this problem b4? Not sure if this can cause problem, I noticed on Nero cd-dvd speed check that when I used USB enclosure it is using CAV and firewire enclosure is using P-CAV. Any idea?

9. Nephilim

To be honest I do see a lot of transfer rate problems with the various external burners but most of them are cleared up after trying everything we did.

I've never personally used an external drive so my experience with them is limited to the problems I've dealt with here so my best recommendation at this point would be to get a new enclosure, possibly from a different maker if you wish.

Let us know how it goes :)

10. dmt

dmt Member

I just put a HD (Maxtor 160gb) to test with the two enclosures. I transfer a couple of big files (5gb), both enclosure doesn't seem to give me any problem. both enclosure transfer smoothly. Well thanks for the help anyway.

11. Nephilim

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  12. dmt

dmt Member

Internally works fine. However, I did fine a solution (or maybe bypass) to the USB semaphore time out . If I backup file onto the FW HD, and then using USB burner to burn from the FW backup, it doesn't gave me anymore error. I think the internal laptop HD is being bottlenecked with the USB port or maybe it wasn't spinning fast enough (5400 RPM). I don't know but it seem to work with this combination. Not truly happy with the result because I do want to keep the HD in my PC and keep the USB enclosure with the burner so I can backup files with the laptop and PC, well at least that was my intention. Do you have any experience with the semaphore timeout or any idea?

13. Nephilim

Semaphore timeouts are basically telling you that there isn't consistent data transfer.

It certainly seems the weak link has something to do with your laptop's HD. Have you defragged it lately? Do you have a lot of background apps running while trying to burn from it? Are you multitasking at all?

14. dmt

dmt Member

All the things you mention I already tried.

15. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

just want to say that you are not the only one. I was having the exact same problem you are having with the exact same burner setup. My compt is a HP/compaq nc4000 p4 1.4. I kept getting that semaphore error and found that its just a dvddecrypter thing so I don't use it anymore. I went from an external firewire case to a a usb2 case also.

sorry to hijack, but I can't burn faster than 4x. how do I get it to do that?

16. dmt

dmt Member

which firmware are you using for the burner, make sure it is the latest. I was using 1.10, and now upgraded to 1.14. Note: make sure you have all the upgrade with your laptop (BIOS, Chipset). BTW which enclosure are you using? and what media are you using?

17. dpd504

dpd504 Member

I've just got a Pioneer DVR-108 and a Bytecc USB 2.0/1394 COMBO External Enclosure, Model "ME-340U2F-BK. Having some issues... I tried jumpering it in master, slave, and in cable select – what should it be?
    What happens is it gets recognized as a CD Drive in My Computer - not a DVD RW drive and it seems to hang the system a bit too. It is correctly recognized in the device manager. Also when I try to access a DVD, I get “F:\ is not accessible Incorrect function” I’m using the USB 2 port on the Bytecc and running WinXP. Also tried it on another system with the same results. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    \Dave

18. pharmdogg

pharmdogg Guest

which of the 2 connections are you using? usb2 or firewire? I had problems using firewire. Try usb2 and see what happens.

19. dmt

dmt Member

Try Windows Update for the latest Microsoft drivers, also it is a good idea to update your Mobo chipset and Bios. If those are not updated it usually give you that kind of errors. Good luck.