1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware dvd drive disc quality test and mdisc support

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gamer1987, Jul 16, 2021.

1. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I downloaded the firmware ID00 and its icon is TSDWin it will not be possible to update the firmware because when clicking on the firmware the message drive couldnt found appears?

what cause?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Part of the problem could be that TSDwin is looking for a Samsung drive, and even though your drive is rebadged Samsung its firmware ID comes up ASUS.

3. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

not work of plug drive asus?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In regards to DiscSpeed, open it and click on Help, About. What is the version number?
    I don't know what you're going to do with the PI errors. Every disc has them. If the total (PO) is excessive, you won't be able to read the disc. Some drives won't read the "jitters" but they're usually related to playback of audio and corrections are made for them.

5. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

as time goes by pie, pif and jitter will increase in mdisc dvd and the disc becomes unusable?

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's probably true, but you're talking a matter of decades or more before it happens. CD-R discs were the worst because of the dye used and the corroding of the aluminum layer. I have hundreds of DVD recordable discs that go back almost 20 years (you can verify it by my posts on AD going back to 2003) and not a one has yet failed. In that time I've had original store bought CDs that have rotted. Tests suggests that DVD discs should have a life of about 25 years or more so check back in about 4 years and I'll let you know. Blu-Ray discs are even better and have a much longer life with estimates of 50 years or more. The US department of defense studied M-Discs, put them through rigorous tests, and they passed. You really should drop your DVD M-Disc drive and move to a BD M-Disc drive. The only reason you would have a concern about PIE, pif, and jitter over time is if you are continuously using the disc. If you do that then the friction on the spindle alone is going to wear and affect it. The point of M-Disc isn't continuous use, but long-term storage. Even then, a burned DVD or BD disc can withstand regular use for decades. I'm using M-Dics to store family movies that go back to the 1940s, and each of those are copied to a BD disc for regular play. If a BD disc go bad, then I can make another copy from my M-discs, but I doubt that I will live long enough to see that happen.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

My Verbatim DVD M-Discs are not used constantly they are backup discs I burned and stored but I know Pie, Pif and jitter are a problem because they make the discs unusable but I have no discs of mine I have tested Disc Quality

bluray drive I didn't buy because the drives are very expensive in Brazil

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

The jitter wouldn't make the discs unusable. If your drive can't read jitters, it won't show up.

PO would make some files or the disc unreadable.

I don't know why PI errors would increase because a disc sits around unless it's an environmental thing and M-disc is supposed to minimize that.

You didn't say which version of DiscSpeed your're using.

9. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

what are the causes of the increase in PIE, PIF and jiitter in stopped mdisc

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

At this point it doesn't really matter because ASUS 1.00 firmware has disc quality scan disabled (if that is in fact his firmware version) so he is unable to run the test. His drive is made by Samsung, or if you will a rebadged Samsung, and it has the Mediatek chipset, but for him to run the test he will have to flash his drive from ASUS firmware to Samsung firmware. That of course can also be a formula for turning his drive into a temporary and even permanent paperweight, until he successfully flashes it back to the original ASUS firmware.

11. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

Why PIE, PIF, jitter increase over time? is it necessary and important to test disk quality on all mdisc after burning?

Is it possible to change the ASUS 1.00 firmware (Disc Quality disabled) for the ID00 firmware and get successful burns, reads and get quality test? is the risk of losing the ASUS drw-24f1mt drive permanently?

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

He said he was using Nero DiscSpeed for the disc quality tests.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I understood that and the purpose of my post wasn't to slight you, but to illuminate. It would be more accurate to say he was attempting to use "Nero DiscSpeed to run his disc quality tests." The point I'm making is that no version of DiscSpeed in existence will be able to run a PIE, PIF, or Jitter test on his drive because his current drive firmware won't permit it. Firmware is a small software written in machine code, and installed onto a chip on hardware to provide it with operating instructions. It's PC operating system independent. The same firmware will run on all versions of Windows, Mac, and Linux or any other operating system that's able to run a DVD Rom. His drive was made by Samsung and then relabled as ASUS, and the firmware is set to ASUS's standards. If he can flash his drive using the Samsung twin SH-244FB firmware, then he will be able to run the test. If he fails to do that then his efforts are pointless because there is no way to run the tests as an ASUS. I've been using Nero DiscSpeed for more than 16 years.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm curious. I've encountered a couple of posts in other forums on this very subject that appear to have been made by you going back to 2013/2016. How long have you been focusing on PIE, PIF, and Jitter on your drives, and why haven't you resolved it by now?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  15. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I used Nero DiscSpeed only for read test 100% good

Is ID00 firmware good for my ASUS drive?

Why do PIE, PIF and jitter increase over time? is it necessary and important to test disc quality on all mdisc after burning? stored mdisc disks

to change the firmware asus 1.00 by id00 you only need the flashDOS program?

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Sophocles- Just wanted to let you know let I didn't read a "slight" in your response.

gamer1987- It's just my opinion but I would still go with the latest firmware (v1.xxxxx) from ASUS. I didn't try to find out why they issued it but they don't issue such things for no reason. Usually, problems in existing software are the reason.

Might even be able to run the disc quality tests in DiscSpeed if you have v7 and run it in Win 7 compatibility mode since it was never claimed to be Win 10 compatible.

Like Sophocles, I'm curious why you haven't gotten this resolved yet if, in fact, you are the one who asked the same questions in other forums several years ago. Don't know if you've backed up data on M-discs before or since that time.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I also ran across some of my old posts discussing PIE (parity inner error), and PO Parity outer.

I have a couple of ASUS drives and they won't run the tests using DiscSpeed either. It's not a flaw in the firmare. ASUS is intentionally designing their firmware to block the tests. That's why a lot of people are reflashing some drives to the manufacturers original firmware.

Attached Files:

18. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

Why do PIE, PIF and jitter increase over time? is it necessary and important to test disc quality on all mdisc after burning? stored mdisc disks

19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Sophocles- are you using DiscSpeed 7 and are you running it in Win 7 compatibility mode?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think this thread is going nowhere. The same questions are being asked, and the same answers repeated.

I have several systems including two with Windows 7, one with Linux Mint, and one with Windows 10. Nero DiscSpeed (all applications) is set to Win 8 compatibility mode in Win 10 by default. DiscSpeed will run a speed test and provide disc ID on my drives, but it will not do a disc quality or scan disc test. This has nothing to do with Windows version or compatibility mode. There are a number of drives that DiscSpeed will not work on and nothing other than crossflashing the firmware with a compatible version will change that. ASUS and many manufacturers don't manufacture their own drives. They farm the task out to companies that do, and then they modify the firmware to their standards. The ASUS DRW-24F1MT, that is in question in this thread is manufactured by Samsung, and it is a hardware twin to their SH-224FB which will run the tests. What we have are two drives that are the same except for firmware where one will work and one won't. To make the ASUS compatible it will have to be flashed with Samsung's SH-224FB firmware. To do that a setting in bios must be changed so that the drive is recognized as an IDE drive and not an AHCI drive.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021