1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware dvd drive disc quality test and mdisc support

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gamer1987, Jul 16, 2021.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

watching.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Is the version you're using a secret? Also, do you have a Nero suite and serial number? For older versions of Nero, certain options of the tools won't work without the serial number. If I remember correctly, v7 came out when it became a free tool which didn't require a serial number.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The version of DiscSpeed or Windows is irrelevant, a point I tried to make clear but apparently failed. I've used every version of DiscSpeed since 2004. That's virtually all of them except perhaps a revision here and there. I will repeat! No version of DiscSpeed will run a PIE PIF or jitter test on a drive that has locked out those options.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

By the way, this is the IDE setting the OP needs to make if he intends to reflash his drive.

Attached Files:

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Here is one for the books. I spent a little time rummaging through my PC Parts archive and I came across two ASUS 24B1ST DVD drives, and it appears that they will run the PI and PO tests.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/asus-drw-24b1st-dvd-drive/8/

I find it odd that a lot of newer drives won't. So why is that? Looking back we have to remember that when DVD optical drives first hit the market they were a good $250 to $300. Now a top drive can be purchased for about $70. It makes me wonder if the newer drives are made with lesser drive motors and transports. Any benchmark test on a drive is going to push it to its limits, and a drive made with a lesser motor just might produce more errors. If I get a chance and the motivation I will install one of them and test it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks for showing your version (7). I agree that one won't be able to run these tests with all drives. In fact, I got looking at the Help file and there is a note that says it depends on the recorder. I have a RAM drive which is 13 years old and a LG blu-ray drive which is about 6 years old. Neither one will run those tests. I tried the latter with DiscSpeed 5, 6 and 7 to no avail.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As they get newer, compatible drives get fewer. I'm a poet!! :D

I used to run test scans for PI and PO errors all the time. It was a thing back around 2004 through maybe 2010 or so. Some people still do but it's getting harder to find drives that are compatible. I still have both of my Plextor PX-712 and PX-716. Plextor made Plextools to run PI (Parity Inner) and PO (Parity Outer) tests. I also have a couple of older Liteon drives as well as ASUS, and they would all run the tests, but not a one of my newer drives will. Newer computers are now coming without optical drives and many of the new cases have no 5 1/4" slots for their installation. I think this has a lot to do with the younger generations who see cell phones as their go to PC.