1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware, e: my previous post

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ElStBlues, May 13, 2007.

1. ElStBlues

ElStBlues Member

Do I need to upgrade the firmware for the LG DVD rewriter or something else. I've come across something called crossflashing, haven't a clue what it is and some firmware that says it would invalid my warranty.

How do I upgrade firware then?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition. Doing a firmware upgrade should only improve your drive .... not hinder the drive or hurt the drive, unless you did something wrong with the installation of the firmware or tried to upgrade to the wrong firmware for that drive!

download DVDDecrypter: http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1
    find your firmware by doing this:
    [​IMG]

If you don't see your drive on the Firmware Page then you need to check the computer manufacturers website for Download drivers and do a search for your drive there. Or search the burner's manufacturers website and see if they have a firmware update for your drive.

either case it's wise to keep up with your firmware on your drives as explained above!

If you do find a firmware update for your drive, download it and then just double click on it to install it. The program (firmware flasher) will or should automatically recognize your drive and all you have to do it hit the button to install...... other firmware flashers will show you a list of drives on your computer... just highlight the drive that you are updating the firmware and hit the install button.... it's that simple! just follow the directions of the firmware flasher. I would not cross flash your drive unless you are really sure that it will help your drive! Do a search for your drive in the forum: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/77
    and see others with your drive and get their advise before crossflashing your drive!

Last edited: May 14, 2007