1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware Explanation

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rdgallo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rdgallo

rdgallo Member

Could someone please tell me in layman's terms what Firmware is? Is this something one has to download (somehow??) periodically in order for their dvd recorder to work ok. I just purchased a Sony RDR-VX500 and just don't understand the function of firmware. I don't see how I could download anything since the unit is not connected to the internet.

Thanks

2. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hi,
    What it means is you download it to a cdr on your computor then put it in your ilo recorder to upgrade it, ect.

3. rdgallo

rdgallo Member

Thanks for the reply. So, I go to a website that would have Firmware for my Sony RDR-VX500 and down load it to a cd-r and then what? Put that cd-r in the disc drive of the dvd recorder? And then what? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new at this.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

Firmware, In laymens terms is software setting on eprom in most cases flashible. It tells the hardware what to do when you give it commands such as record from the remote or front buttons. It also on drives themself and controls how it reacts to new media and such. I dont know about the sony you got but some companys want them upgraded at service departments and will not give the info for doing it to the general public. The ones that do give them out will most time give the instructions at there site for how to do it. Most cases just put it on cd in iso mode and pop it in recorder then will get popup that will walk you through.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005