1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware needed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by uponthis, Aug 14, 2004.

1. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but what exactly does updating firmware do for the dvd drive? And, would i need to update even if nothing is wrong? Can someone explain this to me? Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi uponthis,

Firmware is an updated set of instructions for your burner. It fixes "Bugs" found in the last set of instructions ((there are always some "bugs".). It allows your burner to burn more media (different mfgs.) maybe a faster speed, maybe it will support different software - maybe all of the above.

As long as you're doing the same things with the same media and software, there's no reason to do a flash upgrade BUT if you change something you'll probably need too.

cheers,

Pete

3. uponthis

uponthis Regular member

ScubaPete
    Thanks for helping me understand firmware flashing a lot more than what i did. I thought about doing it a few months back, but nothing is wrong with my drive so i left it well enough alone.
    Thanks again!